60VAC in ceiling wires with the light switch turned off

When 2 hot wires are close to each other for a long run of wire they act like a capacitor and a capacitor will pass current/voltage. Not very much current,but with a high impedance digital meter you will see some voltage.

Where I worked we had long runs of wire in conduits. It was not unusual to have enough voltage induced in the wiring to shock the crap out of you even if both ends of the wire was disconnected. I found out that often if I used my Simpson analog meter I could start at the highest voltage range and step down to the lower voltage ranges the meter would stay in about the same physical place in many cases even the voltage would be much less as read on the face of the meter.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'd be checking for loos neutrals!!! Put an incandescent bulb in the circuit and check the voltage across the bulb. The lower the wattage the better for the first test and if you get a reading, replace with a higher wattage and see if the voltage drops. An "induced" phantom voltage will virtually never give you a shock or burn

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Excellent description of "phantom voltage". High probability that is what it is. Measure the voltage across an incandescent light bulb.

The analog meter on voltage scales reads the current from the capacitive link. The capacitive "reactance" is so high that resistance in series with the meter on various meter ranges doesn't matter much.

Reply to
bud--

I doubt it because he got shocked and it's apparently just a run from a light switch to a light fixture. Not likely that there is something next to it and for a long enough run, for this to create that amount of energy. If it was, there would be millions of LED lights partially lighting and we don't hear that.

Reply to
trader_4

Except, I've confused myself with phantom voltage a few times, and never seen it that high. I do keep my analog Simpson handy and double check any strange reading from the digital.

Also he described a burn. I've always felt it as a tingle, not sure that's the same. But I've never felt a tingle from phantom voltage, only from lack of judgment with real voltage.

Reply to
TimR

The OP seems to be missing in action. Relevant questions: what is the voltage across an incandescent bulb? what is the voltage with an analog meter? what are voltages if a wire is disconnected at the switch?

Measured voltage N-G is essentially zero - not an Edison ckt problem.

Voltage across meter is ~60V = 120V/2. Approximately, source resistance is equal to the meter resistance. My Fluke 189 has a resistance on ACV ranges of 10M. Max current at "hot" wire may be 120V/10M = 12 microamps, can't be felt

Shorting "hot" to N produces no visible spark.

"It was definitely the hot wire and there's no way not to be somewhat grounded in some manner by your feet unless you're suited up in rubber which I wasn't." OP was "grounded" in shoes? standing on a wood ladder (ladder on what kind of surface?). I would not get a shock through my shoes and definitely wouldn't get a shock standing on a wood ladder. There is a reason electricians use wood (or fiberglass) ladders.

If there was a "reasonable" leakage current a LED may (or may not) light very dimly. I remember a previous thread where phantom voltage caused a *very* dim flash in a CFL - leak charged a capacitor that periodically ran an inverter to the CFL

Reply to
bud--