3M security window films

I am considering getting these for my home. They are apparently designed to hold the glass in place and make it difficult for a burgler to get inside. Has anyone had any experience with this product and what did you think of it? Would you recommend it and what was the approx cost to install? Thanks.

Reply to
stonej

It should offer some additional security, but don't expect perfection. You may want to contact your local police department to see what they might have to say.

I would worry that it may be a maintenance head ache. It is may scratch under normal usage and in turn look bad for example.

Sorry I don't have any direct experience to offer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

To be certified (wind load)/impact) I think this is a factory installed product.

Reply to
gfretwell

We all had this product on all the windows and glass doors in our issued apartments in Kuwait. It was courtesy of Uncle Sam but it wasn't for burglars! As I understand it's not super expensive but must be installed by a certified installer to be guaranteed to function correctly. It is so clear you can't even tell it's there unless you go up and run your fingernail over it if done right.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

Uh, it won't do more than slow a burglar down. It is intended to stop low-mass glass shards in an explosion, not knives or outright shrapnel from a close-by explosion. They are putting it on the street-side windows of my office building. I told them they need to put it on the backside too, since the best bomb location is between the building wings in back, and the only thing preventing a bomber driving his truck back there is the poor SOB rent-a-cop in the flimsy shack at the gate that is a straight shot from the sweet spot. (But seriously, our main danger here is from tornados, where an overpressure situation or flying debris can easily take out windows several stories up.)

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

I've seen the discovery channels "it takes a theif" show, and they demonstrated the film stand up to baseball bats and crow bars. So I was reminded by this thread about what I read, and saw demonstrations if it's strength.

Information:

hth,

tom

Reply to
Tom

That's exactly the point of any and all home security techniques. If a burglar is determined enough to break into YOUR house, he's going to be able to do it no matter what you do. Luckily, most burglars aren't picky, and they'll just choose the house that's the least amount of work. Putting things in place that will slow a burglar down increase the likelihood that the burglar will give up and move on to an easier target.

Reply to
Random Netizen

That's exactly the point of any and all home security techniques. If a burglar is determined enough to break into YOUR house, he's going to be able to do it no matter what you do. Luckily, most burglars aren't picky, and they'll just choose the house that's the least amount of work. Putting things in place that will slow a burglar down increase the likelihood that the burglar will give up and move on to an easier target.

That was my understanding as well. It is meant to slow down and frustrate a would be burgler. 3M recommends a burgler alarm be installed as well. If an alarm is sounding and the burgler is struggling to get through the glass it is likely they won't stick around long. 3M is sending me samples in the mail. If I decide to do this it will be professionally done.

Reply to
stonej

My thought is if he makes enough noise to wake up the dog, all I need is the time for the dog to wake me up. Then the gunshots and sirens will wake up the rest of the neighborhood. It is hard to beat an alert dog for home security. You just need to give him a little edge.

Reply to
gfretwell

I dunno. Geese work pretty well, too.

Reply to
Goedjn

The key is alert. I remember staying at a friend's house. In the middle of the night, I awoke because I smelled smoke. I got up and determined that the problem wias next door. Then _ I _woke_the_dog_ and my friend. The fire dept arrived as I reached to call 911.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly