$ 3,845.00 Tool Kit, Just What Everyone Needs For Home Repair

Have you ever wondered what tools the guys who service MRI machines with those giant magnets use? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The high point of the yearly general safety inservices when I was still a nurse was always the MRI safety films. Got some rather strange looks when I started giggling every time they brought out the pipe wrench that reduced cement blocks to dust. Way cool.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I see the 3# hammer is only $221. What I'd call a 12" Crescent wrench is just under $200. Why don't they sell vise grips?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Cost of a few MRI's.

Since my wife had one this week your post prompted me to look up prices and I found this interesting article:

Reinforces what my lawyer sons tell me about some way overpaid doctors they know. Lot of them make as much as major league ball players ;)

Also, half a century ago when I was studying chemistry, I would run my own NMR's. Same as MRI except for name. Must have been relatively weak magnet as I don't recall having to use any precautions for metals I might have on like a watch.

Reply to
Frank

What, no optional duck tape and WD40?

Reply to
IGot2P

Must be a government only supplier.

Reply to
Meanie

I'm waiting for it to go on sale at Harbor Freight.

Who wants a titanium can of WD?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Exactly the same. They dropped the "N" from the front of "NMRI" to appease / defuse the ignorant anti-nuke loons.

Reply to
Pete C.

my thought exactly.

Reply to
gfretwell

I did some computer work in an NMR lab for a chemistry professor. It had an outline on the floor and warnings to keep magnetic materials out of that outline. But it must indeed be a weaker magnet than those in medical MRIs.

Wes Groleau

OK, the tools have to be non-magnetic, so I understand a higher price. But THAT price is completely ridiculous.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Tools: $400.00

Siemens name: $3000.00

:-)

Reply to
Irreverent Maximus

On 12/15/2013 5:49 PM, Frank wrote:

TDD

The term "Nuclear Magnetic Resonance" though a more accurate description of the process was too scary for the general public because the title contained the word "Nuclear". So the Politically Correct thing to do was to rename the process,"Magnetic Resonance Imaging" which is not as scary. "The Dumbassification of America" started a long time ago. Darn, I wish science as a required subject for a kid to graduate high school was taught in a different way so they could understand the practical concepts perhaps using what shows up in the news to make them understand what's going on in the world around them. There are kids who are now like I was at that age who live for learning anything about science, medicine and technology. The kids who actually want to learn should be nurtured and helped instead of hindered which is what happens to many of them. I was so frustrated as a kid who wanted to learn and really wished there was an Internet back then but it was science fiction at the time so I had to haunt libraries and getting to a library at the college was a real treat for me. Kids really need a class on "Life" and how to live it. I remember home economics classes that were for the girls but one of my male classmates took the class. They get out of school and have no idea how to balance a checkbook, fill out their income tax forms or do the simplest necessary things to live in society that adults do without a second thought. Perhaps the class should be named, "Welcome to the real world." ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Siemens name $1000, insurance to cover liability if something goes wrong and totals a multi-million dollar MRI $2000. (grin)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

And, while class is in session. you're welcome to plug your ipod charger into a subatomic nuclear energy transfer source, to wit, electric socket.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'll bet all the metal parts are titanium...

hell I wouldn't sell you one of my toolboxes for that, it's taken me too long to build up a functional tool collection.

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The term nuclear has nothing to do with radiation or radioactive decay but refers to the precession of odd numbered atomic nuclei, like hydrogen, in a magnetic field. I think the main reason the medical people dropped the "nuclear" was that the procedure does not belong in their nuclear medicine department that does have to do with radiation.

Reply to
Frank

A friend of mine who worked on X-ray machines told me that a bolt or screw that could be bought at any hardware store for ten cents, was $10 if it was for an X-ray machine because the paperwork outweighed the piece of hardware. Like aerospace/military hardware, it had to be approved and tested along with a paperwork trail. Perhaps he was exaggerating but it was believable. If anyone reading the group has experience working on medical equipment please chime in because my experience is limited older not hospital owned equipment. I have repaired an ultrasound machine for my doctor friend and it was an interesting piece of gear. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I made a post about the screws, nuts and bolts requiring a stack of paperwork if made for medical equipment. Like the hardware, the tools probably have to have a paperwork trail for insurance purposes because medical malpractice lawyers will go after anyyone who had contact with the equipment including the guy who made the darn labels stuck on the back of the machine. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Intelligent people understand this, however the anti-nuke loons are not intelligent.

Reply to
Pete C.