23-year old 2 ton York bites the dust....

It was great while it lasted....but now I must replace...getting estimates...one guy came back with a 2-ton 10 seer AmeriStar by American Standard with air handler, installed for $3K. Never heard of this brand. I live in Evansville (Newburgh) Indiana....need more SEER? He said I could get 13 SEER for $350.00 more...

-Brad

Reply to
ChampAmp

On Mon 06 Jun 2005 09:39:54p, ChampAmp wrote in alt.home.repair:

SEER rating has absolutely nothing to do with cooling capacity. It's an efficiency rating where higher numbers mean greater efficiency and lower operating cost. However, those cost savings really need to be measured over a period of years. I've been told that unless you planning on living int he same place for a very long time, the difference is purchase cost is often not worth it. BTUs and "tonnage" are measurements of cooling capacity.

HTH

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Look at the copyright at the bottom of this page:

Dr. Hardcrab

Ah....interesting that Trane is part of their conglomerate. Thanks.

Reply to
ChampAmp

Seer refers to energy efficiency. If you want more efficiency, I'd suggest a TXV (thermostatic expansion valve) on the indoor coil instead of an orifice.

Anything you do is going to be more efficient than a 23 year old unit that's likely full of dust and debris.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have a 19 year old Carrier 3 ton unit. I just had it serviced by a friend of mine. He says its still working fine. I hope I can get a few more years out of it.

Reply to
Mikepier

Went with a 13 SEER 2 ton unit from Bryant, using Puron....we'll see....

Reply to
ChampAmp

How about a GE 3 ton unit installed in 1973. I open the top each season, clean/vacuum out the unit, oil the motor and turn it on. Last register in line air temp has been at 51-53 F since it was installed. I'm in New England so it doesn't get the same work out as in a hotter climate. Might not be as efficient as the current models but it isn't cost effective to do a replacement until it actually fails. MLD

Reply to
MLD

This is Turtle.

It's a Trane / american Standard and is one of the biggest manufactors in the World.

It he is a respectiable installer. i would be taking him up on the 13 seer.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

American Standard is into a lot of stuff like plumbing and brake shoes but Trane seemed to be a key trail into the HVAC business. This is Like Exxon owning Ramada Inn but might have sold it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

That puron stuff is relatively new. I like the old stuff -- it's been around longer, and has worked dependably till now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon