strange noise when water starts flowing

I noticed that if I flush the toilet in the basement, or abruptly open a faucet, there is a momentary remote rumbling noise. It resembles a huge clattering diesel engine being cranked at a modest distance. I wonder what could cause it.

Ignoramus23410

I think its called hammering. There is a device called a 'water hammer arrester' that I think will solve this for you.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Water heater. Esp gas heater when firing. The momentary drop in pressure allows little "explosions" in water at the bottom (usually in calcium deposits).

Not harmful in itself, but could indicate heater hasn't been flushed regularly.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

If he's flushing with hot water, that is the right answer. If he so challenged as to recognize that, its water hammer and can be solved with an over the counter hammer stop or just solder in a few 12" long peices of copper pipe capped off. The air these pipes contain is enough to act as a shock absorber.

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy