20 tons of gravel

  Well , crushed rock to be more precise . Had it delivered today by the county , I'll be billed later but the agreed on price was very reasonable . Unfortunately the rain got too heavy before i finished spreading it with Rusty the Tractor . This will be the parking pad for our camper , later an RV if I can convince . But that's just the beginning , I'm building a "carport" structure to shelter the camper/RV from the weather - 12 feet clear height and approximately 11'4" clear sideways and 30 feet long . I plan to park the Harleys under it too . I priced the metal carport structures , by the time I get the height and size I want it's over 2500 bucks from the local . I can build it myself for less than half that with materials from the local lumber yard . Hmmm , I haven't priced steel structural members , might be cheaper than lumber . A task for tomorrow , tonight I'm drinkin' whiskey .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

What kind of whiskey?

Reply to
Oren

Not a bad bottom shelf bourbon mind you- but smooth? Not. It burns like blazes going down;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

  Smoother 'n Jack . And yer a snob . Pthhhhht
Reply to
Terry Coombs

How is it that the county delivers crushed rock to you rather than a private hauler?

Reply to
catalpa

  I don't know the politics of it , just that if you ask nicely the county road maintenance dept will haul gravel and crushed rock for the cost of the material . I'll be billed at the end of the month .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Don't do like they do in San Antonio and build carports out of 2x2's and corrugated fiberglass panels. They're great if the only load is sunlight.

Reply to
rbowman

Gotta be better than J.W.Dant. My father in law bought that shit by the case. Before I got tangled up with him I favored One W Harper. After a gallon or two of J.W. I gave up on bourbon entirely.

Reply to
rbowman

OK, that is very gracious of them to do that.

That doesn't and can't happen around here, not only for legal reasons, but it would get abused and out of control real fast.

Reply to
catalpa

  I'm thinking 6x6 corner posts with 4x4 intermediates . All braced with diagonals at the top . I'm not nearly as concerned with snow load as I am with wind resistance . I'll only have the roof and maybe a short(narrow?) piece at the top . This may eventually be closed in so I have to keep that in mind too .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Congrats! That's what I got for an anniversary present in 2006. We rented a front-end loader to spread it around, but right up close to the building it was me and a bow rake, while he drove the loader. Didn't seem quite fair.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

Very attractive; does a lot for property values in the neighborhood too.

I heard that the fiberglass supplier is required to throw in 4 concrete blocks so you can store a wheels-off 1970's junk car in your front yard;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Hey, if I was a snob, I'd be drinking a cutesie over-priced designer-label single malt Scotch that comes in a fancy box or a cardboard tube with a gold tassel.

I was in a liquor store the other day and saw some dipstick actually pick one of those up and take it to the checkout. He didn't get much change back from the C-note and the fifty he laid on the counter!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

 And it wasn't fair at all ! He should have done the hand work too if it was really a gift .

This has turned out better than I expected . The ground is very wet , and the spot I wanted the load dropped is a bit unlevel (which is why I needed the gravel ...) , so he couldn't drop it precisely where I needed it . So about a third or maybe half that load got "tailgated" (tailgate chained to a small opening , dumping/spreading it as he drove) up my driveway . I wasn't sure if what I had left to work with was going to be enough to level the parking spot , but it has turned out well . I still need to check it with a laser level to make sure it's pitched the way I want it , but eyeballin' it I think it's close . Now the real work begins , I've got 8 post holes to dig by hand . At least I won't have to mix concrete by hand , I bought a mixer when I poured the cellar floor .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The gravel was a gift. It was one of those "some assembly required" gifts.

I'm glad it turned out well. Keep us posted.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli