Subject Author Posted Replies

Quiet dishwasher makes too much noise
I replaced the dishwasher that came with the house with a new and moderately pricey super quiet dishwasher. It's great that I can hardly hear it while it's running the wash cycles. However, it...
6
6

Question about stain on linoleum floor
My daughter has a fairly new linoleum floor in her bathroom, she dyed a couple of rugs to get the color she wanted, but the problem is when the rug next to the bathtub got wet, it bled to the floor...
6
6

Taco cartridge circulator
I have a Model 006-BC5Y-2 on my geothermal heat pump to recirculate the hot water it produces. When the water heater quit today, I noticed that the circulator was not working. I tested the wiring, and...

Trouble with TORO Snow Blower
Thanks for response. Before I address what you said, I am wondering why the ether starting fluid will not ignite if there is spark (arc) at the spark plug. It just seems to me that regardless of...
6
6

Home wiring: is 47V between neutral and ground OK?
Hi All, I just installed a ceiling light in my kitchen, and now I measure a 47V (AC) difference between the light's ground wire and its neutral wire. Is this normal, or could the ground wire be...
22
22

Crude Oil Prices/Electricity Rates?
With crude prices as low as they now and heating oil/gasoline prices much less than they were last year, can we poor schlubs here in the Northeast have any hope that our electric rates will similarly...
29
29

Plaster walls are how expensive?
Hi, I'm working on a kitchen project. The kitchen is 16'x16' with 8' ceilings and a couple closets. I had a straight up drywall guy give me a quote of $40/sheet or about $700. Then I...
10
10

Why Does Toilet OCCASIONALLY not Flush?
I installed a tall, elongated 1.6 GPF toilet 8 years ago. It works fine....most of the time. About every 100th or so flush, the bowl fills with water from the tank but for whatever reason it...
16
16

Excessive Mineral deposits clogging humidifier?
I'm having a problem with what I can only assume are mineral deposits. I usually run my warm mist humidifier in the winter and clean the heating elements about once per month with vinegar....
6
6

Well Water Pressure higher then 60PSI?
So I have a Pump that can produce more then the typical 60PSI @ 30GPM. I'm drawing from a 5000 gallon tank. When looking for a Pressure tank I only see ones that have a 40/60 PSI range on them....
18
18

Thermostat elimination? re-positioning?
I have a Cozy vented Nat Gas space heater with a closed front using a Robertshaw 710-205 gas valve. I recently replaced the valve with a supposedly identical model and I'm now having problems with...

accoridan door for bathroom
Anyone replace a bathroom door with one of those accordian types? I've just finished remodeling one of my 2 smallish 6 x 10 bathrooms and it's so roomy without the door that I'd like to...
20
20

Stair step dims according to code
Greetings All, I am wondering if there is a short set of rules for residential stair tread heights. In a nutshell, we had a second floor added a couple of years back. The stairs are just site-built...
5
5

Ping Don Klipstein - Series String Bulb Shunts
Just what is in the "shunt" built into series string decorative lamp bulbs which takes over when the filament opens? Is it something like a PTC thermistor which heats up and melts some powdered metal...
13
13

Any experience with Quartz portable geaters
This year, I have been getting a number of junk mail ads for these quartz heaters, making all kinds of claims (obviously). They seem pretty expensive at $300 ti $500. Anyone have any experience with...
19
19