Subject Author Posted Replies

Kenmore dryer - wire keeps burning up
I have an old Kenmore dryer. Lately, one of the wires that connects to the high temperature sensor on the side of the heating coils has been burning up at the point of contact (the wire burns, but the...
9
9

Ah, that new house smell...
"[MANATEE COUNTY, Florida] As the investigation into toxic Chinese drywall continues, a single street in Manatee County appears to be ground zero for the largest cluster of problem homes." is alleged...
7
7

How to rig a pulley system with a timer......
I have a fabric dyeing project in mind where I want the fabric to be removed gradually from the dye bath. My thought is to tack the fabric to a dowel, suspended with nylon or cotton line and wind the...
9
9

Gas oven popping noise
We have a Maytag gas range that is about 7 years old. My wife and I bought the house about 3 years ago. I have noticed a popping noise coming from the oven, which I assume is not dangerous since it...
1
1

Stapling wiring and electrical code.
I'm re-wiring some outlets etc. in an old house I own. The basement has an open ceiling and the old wiring is stapled along the bottom surfaces of the joists to get to the service panel. For the...
15
15

Wood Bondo?
Several years ago, a repair guy took care of a small area of rotted wood on an exterior window sill by gouging out the rotted area and filling with some sort of bondo-like wood filler. It seems to...
11
11

Wasting taxpayer money - The FCC and over the air HDTV Rollout
Many if not most homeowners who are trying to now get over the air HDTV reception are finding that indoor antennas are not adequate and often need to use expensive outdoor antennas. Ironically, the...
34
34

Removing glued on mirror
I have a 5' x 6' mirror in a bathroom that has to go. It was glued on the wall 30 years ago. Any ideas how to get it off without breaking it? It's tight up to the ceiling and one wall. I...
13
13

Adding Insulation during winter months
I did an addition and now that the plumbing is done, trying to get the walls up. As part of the addition, I have a crawl space and two storeys above it. Water leaks into the crawl space and lately its...
7
7

Repainting a vinyl sectional garage-door
What kind of paint should I use?
1
1

Keeping a snowman warm
The tv weather reporter tonite said that it's so cold outside that even snowmen are shivvering. How do I warm my snowman? Should I use a regular blanket, electric blanket, or an electric heater? I...
8
8

ICY WALKWAYS: Peadow (DOW) calcium-chloride pellets, on slate.
Near the house, our due-North-pointing front walk is shielded from the sun by some nice bushes. Thus that part NEVER sees the sun. When it snows, starts melting a bit, and then the weather turns...
3
3

Garage Door Opener Recommendation
I came home to a door about 75% shut. When I try to open or close the door, my very old opener shudders and grinds. I'll take it down and look at it, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the market...
15
15

Possible heating duct problem
I belong to a little brick bungalow in the midwest US built in 1954. Original forced-air (galvanized ductwork) heating, 2-yr-old Heil 80% furnace. Lying in bed, very quiet, furnace begins heat cycle....
17
17

sorta OT: remote control repair?
Hi, a while back I bought a big screen TV off of a local bulletin board. The price was right, the picture is good enough, although it's not HD it is perfectly serviceable for my TV-watching needs....
3
3