Ah, that new house smell...

"[MANATEE COUNTY, Florida] As the investigation into toxic Chinese drywall continues, a single street in Manatee County appears to be ground zero for the largest cluster of problem homes."

It is alleged that fumes from the Chinese drywall causes health problems, corrodes electrical appliances, causes air conditioners to fail, make exposed wiring turn black and fall off (like leprosy), and other maladies.

Builder says "If it's good enough for the Chinese..."

Reply to
HeyBub

Boggle. They import drywall from China? Considering the weight of the stuff, and that the production lines are more-or-less automated, I have trouble seeing where the cheap labor over there can make that cost-effective. Must be a royal bitch shrink-wrapping the stuff so it survives a trip over the (wet) ocean. Even if there are no water leaks in the hold, humidity control on a ship is usually less than optimal. MHE we ship over to the sandbox has to be very carefully preservation-packed, or it is a mass of rust when it arrives, even in conexes.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

The Chinese talent for making an ordinary product toxic is truly extraordinary. We can only hope that this matter gets wide enough publicity to prevent more appalling incidents. The attitude of the builder is absolutely unacceptable.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

It wasn't a matter of pricing. At the time they were using this stuff the building boom was on and there was a shortge of domestic drywall.

This is going to make for some interesting law suits.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

The gypsum to make drywall here in the US arrives by ship. There may be closer sources in China. I doubt the finished product is ever in the hold of a ship. Most everything is in containers these days and surprisingly dry. In China they make the most mundane things so cheap it is amazing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"HeyBub" wrote in news:n7OdnbNuhLtVOPLUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Maybe it's how the Chinese get rid of all their dead.

Reply to
Red Green

Nope - here's how:

Bob(but not THAT Bob)

If its good enough for the Chinese he says, yes so is their poison milk powder, poison toothpaste, dogfood, protein rich foods that Melamine is added to phony tests.They make phony medicines. In Europe at least 350 cloth chairs were recalled because the chairs gave people rashes. They will counterfiet and do anything to make money. I bet some toxic industrial waste they got free is in the drywall, US export only.

Reply to
ransley