Subject Author Posted Replies

Hot & Cold Shower Faucet Stems Different?
I'll be installing a replacement 3-handle Price-Pfister tub and shower faucet set shortly. It appears I'll have to install the set upside down, because the inlet pipes are above the existing...
13
13

Water Pump Problems
Having a bit of trouble with my water pump not shutting off. Usually when this happens I just have to pump a bit of air in the bladder and it works fine for many months but this time that trick is not...
7
7

Non-toxic sealant for punch bowl
I'm doing up a fancy multi-tiered punch bowl with a small aquarium pump inside. I'd like to string the power cord in through a hole at the bottom. My question is what sealant can I use that is...
9
9

Cleaning vents
My lovely wife wants the vents in our house cleaned. Removing the register covers is not a problem. The stackhead or register box in the walls have an adjustable slide door to control the flow. Oval...
6
6

Thin profile socket/ratchet wrench needed
Hello, I am trying to find a wrench that will will drive a 5/16" hex screw. I would like a ratcheting type wrench. It should not be a right angled wrench but a straight one. I only have about 2/3"...
7
7

Lights for B/W joists
Hi, I have a finished basement, but I do not want to cover up the ceiling with drywall. Instead, I will paint the joists black. Are there any recessed-type lights that would look good? Something that...
5
5

Restaurant cooler repair
Last couple days, I've had the chance to work on a reach in cooler, at a restaurant. Under a counter. The old guy who runs the place says it needs freon every six months. The aluminum evaporator...
7
7

Resurfacing pine floors
Greetings, I have about 400 sq feet that I'd like to strip and re-poly. The high traffic areas are down to bare wood. First, I can rent both a vibrating square sander and an orbital buffer with...
17
17

Earthquakes can be fun
Interesting: sitting here in front of my computah a little while ago, felt an earthquake go by. I say "go by" because that's exactly what it felt like: as if something started out in the west and...
3
3

Replacing a section of drywall
I am removing a section of drywall and replacing it with some rockboard (durock, hardibacker, etc.) Can I just cut the existing drywall flush with the existing stud, then add a second "stud" by...
7
7

Cedar Deck Maintenance
My 5-year old cedar deck needs to be re-stained again. I sanded it down to bare wood a year ago, but already it's grayed over. I've been using Sikkens Cetol SRD (Cedar) stain. We live in...
2
2

Drill operated sewer snake
I once knew a plumber who used a drain auger cable that he attached to a heavy duty drill to clear main lines. He ran up to a 4 inch cutting bit on it, and used it for runs up to 75'-100'. The...
7
7

watter hammer / hum problem
about a month ago our pipes started humming when the water was turned off in the shower. Then it started doing it when one fo the toilets was flushed. Now its doing it when the cloths washer is on....
5
5

washer connection
I am trying to connect a washer. The washer has hot water hose and cold water hose and a drain. The wall has a hot water faucet, cold water faucet, drain, and an additional copper pipe 1/2 with no...
5
5

Lawn mowers under $300?
Looking for a new self-propelled mower for hopefully less than $300. I'll be mostly bagging on a flat lot less than 1/4 acre with lots of turns around shrubs and trees. While performance is...
19
19