Water Pump Problems

Having a bit of trouble with my water pump not shutting off. Usually when this happens I just have to pump a bit of air in the bladder and it works fine for many months but this time that trick is not working. I can get it to stop by shutting it off at the circuit breaker for about 10 seconds and then turn the breaker back on and the pump stays shut off until I run enough water for it to kick back on.

Also, I'm running on generator power today because the storm knocked out power out last night. It has not been a problem before but it still makes me wonder if it has something to do with it or if it is just a coincidence.

It was probably about 20 years ago when I installed this pump. Looks like it is way past it's prime and might be time for a new one.

David

Reply to
hibb

What is the cut out pressure set at? What is it when it is still running? You might just have a bad pressure switch or the pump might be worn to the point that it can't make the switch setting. The answer is watching the gauge when it fails. Try backing off on the cut out pressure a couple pounds.

Reply to
gfretwell

Just a bit of guessing but I'm thinking that your water pump system is not unlike an air compressor system.

When pressure falls below the "low pressure - pump on" limit...the switch contacts close and the pump turns on.

When the pressure reaches the "high pressure - pump off" ......the switch contacts open and the pump turns off.

By turning off power at the breaker, you are killing the cycle until the pressure fails again to the "turn - on" limit.

It appears that the contacts are remaining closed.

Do you have a seperate "electrical control box" on or near the pump (motor)?

Unless the whole system is a single unit and the controls are not separately serviceable you should be able to just fix or replace the pressure switching part of it.

If pressure builds to "normal" operating pressure (& it seems like it does since you topped off the air tank) then the fault is most likely in the switch.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

Now it's getting weirder. I started getting black water out of the faucet in the bathroom and now have no water pressure there even when the pump is running and the pressure guage on the pump is near 50 psi.

I ran the faucet in the kitchen for a little while and it started doing the same thing.

Reply to
Shy Picker

Yep. Lowering the shut off pressure did the trick for now. I am not sure if the problem is totally in the switch or if the pump is wearing out and can not get the pressure up to normal switch operation. The switch is a 30 - 50 switch. I think I will just keep an eye on it and probably replace the switch this weekend to see if it will shut off at normal pressure.

Thanks, David

Reply to
Shy Picker

Thanks Bob.

Looks like at least part of the problem is in the switch. I have it working now and will replace the switch this weekend (or sooner if problems crop back up)

Thanks, David

Reply to
Shy Picker

Did this symptom go away after you got the pump working again? Is this pump an in-well or above ground? It could be that the passage from the plumbing to the switch is plugged up with debris, so it isn't allow the pressure to reach the switch fast enough. Unscrewing the switch unit might reveil this.

Reply to
Bob F

The pump is above ground. I have it working ok now. Looks like when the pump ran too long and over heated and the water pressure dropped, it stirred up some silt when I got it running again and the silt plugged up the aerators. I lowered the cut off pressure on the switch and now it works like it should. I may go ahead and replace the switch anyway.

Thanks, David

Reply to
Shy Picker