Subject Author Posted Replies

What type of caulking to use on Pop up trailer seams? Silicone?
I wanted to reseal the joint on my pop up trailer. What would be the best pick from home depot for caulking? Dap with silicone outdoor or GE silicone window and door caulking? Or is there something...
9
9

Triple or double-paned windows ?
Hello, we are up here in Ottawa, Canada. Any recommendations on the vinyl windows replacement companies - Euro Tech, Solimat ( Costco) or Verdun? Also, is it worthwhile to install triple-glazed...
4
4

Photo-cells and CFLs
I have an outdoor floodlight fixture with a photo-cell to turn it on at dusk and off at dawn. I can buy a screw-in photo-cell that works with CFLs for only $8. If I cover the regular eye so it thinks...
15
15

Bubbles on exterior of house after painting
At the end of September, we repainted our house which was newly constructed 9 1/2 years ago. We are in Northern California in the Bay Area. The weather when it was painted was sunny but cool and dry....
12
12

installing cedar trim on shed
I am putting up some trim on shed project. this is 1x4 cedar. just wondering if regular hot-dip galvanized nails ok for this purpose?
9
9

Simple generator transfer switch
I have been finding online $100 6-breaker transfer switches for the inside (1 240v and 4 120v). The obvious drawback is that after the well pump, fridge and heating I am limited to choosing only two...
4
4

Annual maintenance for high efficiency gas furnace
We have a couple of high efficiency, condensing gas furnaces with forced hot air used to heat our home. So far, every year at the start of the heating season, I have been doing the following for...
37
37

Where can I find this Quick connect shut off Valve? for Sprinkler?? Brass
I have a really odd quick connect valve (brass) for our sprinkler system. Since we just moved into this house, I don't know who installed this valve. I called all kinds of sprinkler system store...
9
9

FYI - Ladder Stand-off/Stabilizer
Gravity doesn't kill you on this planet. It's the sudden change in acceleration. R
7
7

what coffee maker won't I have to repurchase in a few years?
Couple years ago the girlie bought a new Mr. Coffee "thermal" coffeemaker because she liked the eco-friendliness of not having a heating element under the carafe, and also it had a timer so you could...
39
39

Heat Pump Savings?
I have electric hot air heat and I am wondering how much I can expect save with a heat pump? Eastern TN, almost in the Smokies and the North Carolina border. Elevation about 1650'. It's around...
7
7

Plumbing question
I have hot water heating, and removed all the baseboard heaters to refinish living room floor. My house was built in 1951 and has old style baseboard heaters they have two 1/2 inch copper pipes that...
12
12

2001 Toyota Seinna Van & check engine light
Check engine light on - think it is bad O2 sensor - is there any damage that can result of running the van with out replacing this sensor? Only drive less that 150 miles a month and vehicle seems to...
8
8

Honeywell UtilityPro Programmable thermostat problem
I had this thermostat installed by my utility company several weeks ago. It's the kind where they can cut back the air conditioner during peak demand. I get money off my utility cost and a free...
16
16

How many SWMBOs out there?
I notice that a lot of "guys" here refer to their wives as SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed). That's interesting. What's up with that? I've never seen it anywhere else. I've never seen so...
42
42