Photo-cells and CFLs

I have an outdoor floodlight fixture with a photo-cell to turn it on at dusk and off at dawn. I can buy a screw-in photo-cell that works with CFLs for only $8. If I cover the regular eye so it thinks it's always dark and therefore will always be on, will the CFL work? It would be cheaper than buying a new fixture.

Reply to
nielloeb

*Put a CFL in the fixture and see if it works before you spend money on an accessory. If the existing photocell worked with a regular bulb it should work with a CFL.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Hmm, Funny, why would you need another photo cell if there is one in the fixture unless it is bad.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If the existing photocell won't work with a cfl, it won't matter if you add one that is designed to work with cfl's to the system. Do as John recommends, and see if it works. Be aware that not all Par38 CFL lamps will fit in every PAR holder socket. Many are built in such a way that the transformer hits the lip of the socket before the lamp screws down to the tongue of the socket.

Reply to
RBM

Why are you making more work for yourself, why havnt you just put in a cfl to see what happens.

Reply to
ransley

I've seen one instance where the CFL bulbs would flicker.. (new construction/fixture/bulb(s), etc.) Never learned what the problem was - the photo cell or the bulb.

Reply to
Oren

Yeah, garage door opener light sockets are notorious for that.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Last month I bought my first CFL bulb for 49 cents. Grabbed four more for that price.

My GD opener is 5 years old. I put the CFL bulbs (two) in and presto. Worked like a charm. The 3rd bulb went into a single ceramic light socket on the ceiling. Same result.

Reply to
Oren

Hi, My garage door opener has LED bulbs.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On 10/18/2009 1:21 PM RBM spake thus:

Easily remedied by screwing in a socket extension (male-female extender, available everywhere).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I just ran into some, that a ceramic socket extension wouldn't fit either

Reply to
RBM

On 10/18/2009 4:53 PM RBM spake thus:

Hmm; guess there are all kinds of oddball lamps out there.

Wonder if there are any standards for CFL packages now, and if not, when there will be? Don K?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

How did that quote go again? 'Standards are wonderful- there are always so many to choose from', or something like that. Attributed to several different people, including Grace Hopper, according to Google,.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

It will work, sort of. Then the CFL will die in just a few weeks. They don't like that transition when the photocell is just turning on for 5 minutes or so. BTDT.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

For a heavily cycled, but short run-time light like that, CFL doesn't make much sense. And in cold weather, lag time on startup will be annoying.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers