Subject Author Posted Replies

Solar powered homes and 40 hp cars -- or lack thereof -- as a metaphor.
Awl -- In the recent thread on solar powered homes, which displayed the Natural Divide of opinion on solar power, Salty actually posted an inneresting ditty on solar powered planes. His purpose was,...
22
22

Cycling Well Pump- Odd Findings
I actually got to start work on my GF's pump cycling problem. You will recall I expected to find a waterlogged pressure tank, which I had planned to replace. Here's what I found: (1) The pressure in...
22
22

How to insulate a room "inside" a basement
2 story house with crawlspace located in Portland, Oregon. Crawlspace is a "conditioned" crawlspace. Since the crawlspace is "conditioned", this means that there are no vents to the outside, the...
2
2

Chinese mine flooding March 31st. Rescue efforts.
Roundup: Foreign press lauds China's rescue efforts in coal mine accident Wednesday, April 07, 2010 3:26 AM BEIJING, Apr. 7, 2010 (Xinhua News Agency) -- After more than 190 hours of continuous hard...

washing machine question
This might seem like an odd observation, but here goes. I have one of the new front loading washing machines, and they are supposed to use a lot less water than a conventional washer. If I want to do...
6
6

Freelance SketchUp Artist
Hi everyone, I am a Freelance SketchUp Artist who offering Architectural SketchUp Modeling service,please do check my website for quality images. Please don't be hesitate to email me if you have any...
1
1

cracked attachment
I have a backflow valve, which I drained for the winter, but the frozen water cracked the pipe at the shutoff valve. on the LHS, I have a crack in the metal part that attaches to the backflow value to...
9
9

Dog Licking the chair
My dog has an incessant need to lick the metal legs of our kitchen stools. Love the dog but is there anything that I can coat the legs with that will discourage from licking them? Thanks for your...
26
26

Simpson meter calibration/alkaline cell q?
Main question is, are alkaline cells at exactly their rated voltage, or a little higher? Just got my "new" eBay purchase today, an old Simpson 260 series 7M. Appears to be good on resistance and AC...
15
15

Barrier in ground to ward off tree root invasion
My very large plum tree is north of my tomato plot and the branches overhang the northern most tomato plants (the trench for the tomatoes runs north and south). Even if and when I trim the tree boughs...
11
11

rewiring permit snag - abandoned wires
Turned in my plans to the town to replace my Al wire with copper. The inspector called me today and said I may need to completely remove the Al wire. He was going to check on it so it is not that he...
60
60

A buzzing breaker
Hi, On of the breakers in my panel buzzes. The circuit has a few dimmers on in - could that be the cause? I tried swapping out the breaker, the new one buzzes the same. What's the solution? Thanks,...
14
14

Wrong knock-out
Hi, Was putting a circuit in an electrical panel, and tried to get the smallest knock-out out, but of course the largest (2"?) came out. So now what do I do? Go get a 2" connector for a single wire or...
9
9

After the basement flood. Now what?
Hello, Lots of water in the basement due to the NE floods. RI got creamed. I ripped down the sheetrock, took up the subfloor and laminate. All in a dumpster now. Fans and dehumidifier are running. I...
23
23

Solar Power Home
Step by step guides and video. Cut energy costs to bill patuly Marketing TinyURL.com is the original URL shortener that shortens your unwieldly links into more manageable and useable URLs.
52
52