Subject Author Posted Replies

Double Wire Circuits
This is a theoretical electrical question, not something I actually plan to do. Say somebody wants to run a new circuit from the breaker box to one special outlet, like for a microwave oven or window...
25
25

Gas Meters
We got a new gas meter and it is readable remotely (the guy still comes around, but he waves a device at the meter). Does this imply that there's a battery in the new gas meters? Anyone know for sure?...
8
8

Are These Commonly Available?
Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related) bob (I do not live in the UK) http://www.jdr-websites.co.uk/gallery/images/107/image/12a.jpg
19
19

Cascade
Finally got an admission from Proctor & Gamble that Cascade Complete gel should not be used in dishwashers with systems like G.E. Smart Dispense. They have an ongoing problem with the product that is...
7
7

TSA shaving mirror out of a hard disk drive (what are those shiny platters made out of anyway)?
What are the shiny CDROM-sized platters in an old desktop disk drive made out of? I glued two of them together so that the offset covered the center hole to use as an indestructable traveling shaving...
19
19

Replacing a load-bearing beam
Hi everyone, I'm interested in knowing how one would go about replacing part of the main beam (basement) of a 1926 house. I've consulted a structural engineer to figure out the required size/ strength...
32
32

A sad tale of two wrecked newsgroups
I would like to suggest that all of you regulars of alt.home repair take a look at the newsgroups and I have used the internet since the 1980's. Long before the days of the World Wide Web. This...
61
61

Good paint
Wow, I used that new Behr paint from Home Depot yesterday, the one with the paint/primer in one. Holy cow, thats good paint, was covering a dark red wall with beige and was dredding needing 3 coats...
13
13

Looking for keyless door lock
I need a keyless door lock and would very much appreciate any suggestions. Requirements are: Must have keypad for inoutting pin Need not be biometric Must allow up to 20 users Some users have 24/365...
18
18

pump housing roof rebuild
's a hottub pump housing at the side of my house with a rotted roof. It is prone to rotting because a fir tree above drops pine needles on the roof, and these retain moisture which rots the roof....
2
2

OT: Oil Spill Precedent
This just in: You may recall that the Coast Guard prohibited the Bobby Jindal, governor of Louisiana, from deploying oil-sucking barges due to an incomplete inventory of life jackets, fire...

Outdoor light problem
I have 3 lights on 1 switch. It operates a light at the front door & a light on the garage & a light on a pole at the end of my walkway. The light on the pole won't light, YES the bulb is good. How...
6
6

Briggs gas starvation
I'm having problems with my generator powered by a 8 horsepower Briggs.* I I needed it the other night and it ran okay for 10 minutes and suddenly stopped. From then on it would only run briefly and...
7
7

Toilet started to clog frequently
We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push...
19
19

Energy saving automatic mode on dryer
On many occasions, I've read on this group that using "automatic" mode on a dryer saved energy. I call BS. When I dry clothes in automatic mode, selecting the "Energy Preferred" setting, it takes...
7
7