Gas Meters

We got a new gas meter and it is readable remotely (the guy still comes around, but he waves a device at the meter). Does this imply that there's a battery in the new gas meters? Anyone know for sure?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Don't know about te battery but they changed out the fronts on our gas meters to do that. I don't see how a battery can be involved.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:42:22 -0400, "Robert Green" wrote Re Gas Meters:

Our gas company installed one of those types of meters about a year ago. I asked the guy installing it, and he said that it did indeed have a battery in it. He said the projected battery life was ten years. We'll see.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

I have one on my electric meter that they read 200 yards away from the meter. I wonder which side of the meter it's drawing power from?

KC

Reply to
KC

No batteries in mine. It is a 40GB transmitter, the truck drives by and sends a signal to the unit. Then data is sent to the receiver in the truck.

Reply to
Oren

Very likely it will happen. One of the reasons is the very clever design where practically no current is consumed until the transponder gets the interrogation from the reader. It responds and essentially turns itself off until next time.

Reply to
George

My comment should have read "No batteries in mine that I'm aware of".

The comment from Caesar Romano jogged my memory about "battery life was ten years". Oops.

Reply to
Oren

Sounds similar to the transponder use by EZ Pass and the like. I think they recall and replace them at 10 years or so.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
Robert Green