Energy saving automatic mode on dryer

On many occasions, I've read on this group that using "automatic" mode on a dryer saved energy.

I call BS. When I dry clothes in automatic mode, selecting the "Energy Preferred" setting, it takes nearly two hours to dry a load, and the clothes come out smoking HOT!

Using the timed setting, a load of clothes dries in 60 minutes, and come out COOL because of the 20 minute cooldown.

Those of you who drink the "automatic mode is more efficient" koolaid should try using the timed setting on your dryers. You may be pleasantly surprised, and you'll get your laundry done earlier.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Automatic mode is just another way the appliance manufacturers are shining the same old s=85 to sell their goods.

Reply to
Molly Brown

I have a wetness mode. Is that what you mean by automatic?

I like it. Although I wouldn't call it more efficient. It just means I don't run the dryer past the time it is a certain level of dryness.

It has a big dot where I guess it expects most people to set it. I set it halfway closer to stop and sometimes more.

I put the temp on the lowest, not counting AIR, becuase my impression is that when sta-press clothes get hot, they get wrinkles that only go away when washed again, if then.

I often mix things in the dryer, but then I stop it early and take out the sta-press shirts and polyester pants and the socks, which dry earlier. If I kept them in until the towels were dry, it would beat them up for nothing.

Sometimes if I set the humidistat too close to stop, the towels and cotton underwear are still a bit wet when removed. I put them on the shower bar above the bathtub until they dry. The towels seem a little stiff until I've used them once.

Even the cotton/polyester shirts can be too wet if I take them out too soon, but when they are warm, I can't tell. If I put the shirt on a few minutes later, it will feel wet, but it dries out within 3 or 5 mintues.

It's a Sears Whirlpool. 31 years old. I'm the only one here but it's never needed any repairs. The wetness control has a knob with a pointer that enables me to set it at the start, but then it moves. There should really be a second knob or pointer, so I have a record of where I set it, so I can set it to the same spot if I'm perfectly happy, and more or less if it wasn't perfect. But they don't have that, so I try to remember as best I can.

Reply to
mm

Yes, I agree. I'd say if the OP's is behaving as described, something is wrong with it. Mine just runs until they are dry, then shuts off.

Reply to
trader4

Then obviously its defective, it isnt working as designed.

Reply to
ransley

Your dryer is broken. There is a humidistat in the outflow air that speeds up the dial when it senses lower water content. Your's probably needs replacing.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I have a manual temperature setting, air only-extra low-low-medium-high. I use medium and close dry in 30 minutes with cool down. My light bill was $31.00 this month with laundry once a week and 2 point of use electric, tankless water heaters.

Reply to
LSMFT

Mine, the 31-year old whirlpool, has two metal strips in back of the dryer basket itself, and as the clothes rub by, it measures the electric resistance, or something like that.

And I know it wokds because when I vary the dial, I get the expected results. I don't know what happens if the dial has moved halfway to stop and I twist it ahead or back, but not all the way to where it started. It must speed up the stopping or slow it down, but I can't guess how much.

Reply to
mm