Subject Author Posted Replies

Electrical Wizards, Another Panel/subpanel question
Ok, i understand the whole panel/subpanel setup. And isolating the neutral from the ground in the sub etc etc. Here's the question: We've recently purchased a house (next door) and it has the typical...
30
30

Air Switch for disposal
In looking homes, I've begun to see what they call air or pneumatic switches to control disposals. In almost all instances, these have been mounted vertically in the cabinet tops, toward the side of...
3
3

Water Pressure Regulator
I am contemplating the replacement of the water pressure regulator for my home. The measured pressure in my home is about 100 PSI and it is recommended that it be below 80 PSI. The current regulator...
13
13

Under sink water filters
I want to put an under the sink water filtration system in. I know there are reverse osmosis units, and all types of filtration systems. What is typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not...
29
29

Wiring a phone jack
I found the phone line that has 6 conductors. White wire w/ Orange White wire w/ Green Green wire w/ White Blue wire w/ white White wire w/ Blue Orange wire w/ White I ran a wire but it has 4...
34
34

Dryer vent hose is filling up with water!
My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours. I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has been working fine. Now I went down to the basement to see what...
54
54

Car battery
How long are they supposed to last? My car battery is 9 years old. My truck battery is 6 years old.
98
98

Material for workbench top
I have a 15 year old particle board workbench. The top is worn and I would like to put some type of material over the top so that I have a smoother surface. Any Suggestions? If so, what material...
20
20

Outdoor stair railings placement
Contractor terminated handrail on steps to 2nd last step from bottom and placed the railing about 4" in from the outside edge. Shouldnt it go to the bottom step and with 1" from the edge? Anyone know...
4
4

Where do you get replacement leaf baggers for your yard blower/vacuum
Where can we get a yard blower/vacuum bag that has a long STEEL zipper? My 2-stroke Echo yard blower/vacuum came with a leaf bag that has too short of a nylon zipper which was a pain to use even when...
4
4

[SOLVED] Termites
Hi, Termites have been found in my friend's third floor place. She wants to use something that is non-toxic. Any recommendations? And, what type of termites would be on a third floor? I thought they...
19
19

return of real solder?
had a small repair job to do this PM and my beloved Weller soldering station was left in my friend's garage as I've been helping him rewire an old Avanti... so I stop at Radio Shack on my way home and...
21
21

sealing concrete joints
I have a concrete patio that consists of 4 sections, about 10 feet square each, and they are slightly shifting to create 1/2" spaces between them, and the house foundation too. (you can't see how far...
6
6

Rain drainage solution
I posted about this an age ago and people asked for pictures. Now that construction is moving forward I finally have some. Here's my issue. I have a section between two dormers that is essentially...
18
18

HVAC -- what to do?
Situation: Family of five in a 2500 sq ft single family home in Northern California (Bay Area). Have central air with Carrier gas furnace and Armana air conditioner. We use the heating frequently in...
14
14