Subject Author Posted Replies

Water precipitate question
This summer, I noticed a white "snow globe" effect in my water. I'd take soda pop bottles, fill them 1/3 and lay them in the freeezer. In the morning, fill them with water, and take in the van while I...
18
18

Dewalt 18 volt cell replacement
Anyone know of a good company that replaces cells in power tool batteries. I have 2 18 volt dewalt XR2 batteries that need replacing or re-celling. They have lasted many years and 1 actually still...
17
17

Water Hammer - All faucets
I recently bought a house so I can't comment on history, but our plumbing has a water hammer that occurs when shutting off any faucet in the house. The hammer is delayed about 0.5-1 sec after turning...
9
9

Running Plumbing Supply Lines
The updates are moving along and I'd like to thank everyone for the help. I'm ready to run new supply lines to the kitchen and bath, distances are not great (10' - 15' or so). What I have now is 3/4"...
2
2

more garage door questions
Hello, a.h.r. I'd like to use you again as a sounding board for my current projects. I'm refinishing a garage door that has seen a lot of weathering. q1) The thing squeaks like a son of gun. Would a...
1
1

Chop saw - use for cement blocks?
I'm building an Allen Block (cement) retaining wall and need to trim a large number of top caps which are 11"w x 11"d x 3 3/8"h. I'm wondering if a 14" chop saw would work if I were to put a diamond...
19
19

Musty smell in hot water
I just moved into this new house one year ago. I have noticed a musty smell in the hot water. I've never noticed it in the cold water. The water comes from one of several wells which are shared by...
12
12

Nutone IK-25 Door Intercom schematic
I just bought an Nutone IK-25 door intercom. However, the documentation is pretty bad. I actually wanted a schematic of the master unit, but Nutone says they don't even have it as the product is...
4
4

Plumbing vent
I'm moving my kitchen sink over about 5'. I don't want to use the existing wall drain as running the pipe over does not provide enough drop, so I've cut the iron drain below and installed a no hub to...
6
6

How many wires in one junction box?
I'm getting ready to put in some recessed lighting. I'll have six lights in a rectangular room: one on each short end and two on each long side. The access above makes it easiest to run all the wires...
17
17

I don’t get who profits from this.
More on the subject of corporate greed (sometimes called mergers and acquisitions). The authors Kurt Vornnegut and Joseph Heller were guests at a lavish party at a Long Island beach home thrown by a...
2
2

Sensor Faucets for Sinks
Is it just me, or does everyone cuss at these sensor faucets they put in public restrooms? They're a major pain in the ass. You got to dance around to get your hands in the right place, and sometimes...
27
27

Where to buy a shinny metal box?
I want to put together an ultraviolet air cleaner. Commercial ones are either too expensive, or too small. I've located all the parts (the lamp and the ballast) except the case. Any idea where to buy...
15
15

Concrete Driveway Repair by City Public Works
Recently I have identified a water main line leak near my property. Specifically just outside my property line but under my concrete driveway. I reported to the city public works and utilities and...
11
11

PT wood
I walked over to my woodpile to pick out a few pieces for a small job. I had some 2x6 PT stacked on the ground - these pieces had been there about 3 years. I turn them over and ....... riddled with...
41
41