Water Hammer - All faucets

I recently bought a house so I can't comment on history, but our plumbing has a water hammer that occurs when shutting off any faucet in the house. The hammer is delayed about 0.5-1 sec after turning off a faucet (or toilet, or appliance).

Many of the pipes are pretty loose from what I've been able to access. I don't know if there is a pressure regulator on the main line. I've tried 'emptying the lines' in case the house does have air chambers, but that made no difference.

Most postings seem to focus on specific faucets or appliances causing the hammer, where as I have an overall hammer .... doesn't matter what is turning off. The hammer doesn't happen if we slowly close a valve or when some other faucet is running.

What would be my next step? How do I know if the house has a pressure regulator? Is there an easy pressure test I can do? Install a gauge on a water line? Find, fix, install main water regulator? What would a main regulator (installed) cost?

Greg

Reply to
GregV

Find where the line enters the house and follow it. If there is a regulator it will probably be after the main shutoff. You can get a screw on pressure guage that will go on one of your outdoor faucets. Knowing the pressure will not tell if it has a regulator or not but if it is higher than 50 to 60 lbs you could try adding a regulator to see if that helps with your hammer. Does it hammer with both hot and cold, or just cold? A small bladder tank can be added by inserting a T into your line and that will probably solve it. It helps if you can figure out where it is hammering. You need a helper for that.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Need to find out what pipe is causing the noise then go from there.

Reply to
A. Baum

I was getting a bang-bang-bang every time any water valve shut off.

Turned out to be the Pressure Regulator.

Usually located very soon after the main valve, before any fixture or junction, although outside hose spigots may have been plumbed before it to have street pressure.

There are

Reply to
DerbyDad03

i prefer about 70-75 myself.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Same here... makes the shower much more invigorating.

I set my water heater at about 130-135F too...

nate

(living dangerously.)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I'm just the opposite. I like 130-135 PSI and 75 F. Talk about invigorating! ;)

RicodJour

Showers? You guys take showers?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The first house I ever rented had that problem . Found it when I went to turn the water off to drain the sytem. Main valve was about half open. Opened it the rest of the way up and no problem. Suspect this valve may have also been bad.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

It you;re interested in the mechanics, theory & how to address water hammer check out the website

Get a water pressure gauge at the hardware store like:

First next step, measure water pressure at house entrance. To minimize water hammer pressure should be 65 pis or less.

Determine if house has pressure regulator. If yes, lower pressure & test water hammer behavior.

To minimize noise, secure pipes. Securing the pipes may less or eliminate the noise caused by the water hammer but the hammer still exists. The hammer can be reduced or eliminated by lowering hose pressure or installing water hammer arrestors.

At my house, the city water pressure is ~82 psi which I lower to 65 psi. I have one hose bib before the regulator and it really has some decent flow & pressure. The hose bibs beyond the regulator have much more subdued performance. :(

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK