Subject Author Posted Replies

Charcoal smell from electric clothes dryer?
I noticed a new odd behavior from my 10 year old electric Kitchen Aid dryer, the clothes smell like charcoal or lighter fluid. I checked the lint trap and it was empty. Is this a symptom of some...
12
12

kinda ... sorta ... almost home repair question
Hi All, Picked up a tonneau cover for my Tacoma work truck. Unfortunately, my tool boxes are a few inches too tall to use an ordinary bedslider. The tonneau cover will not close. Have any of you folks...
5
5

TSA scanners - owned by former Chief Chertoff
up the renewed push for those controversial, clothes-penetrating scanners at airports is former homeland security secretary Michael Chertoff. His consulting firm represents companies who make the...
14
14

TSA-patdown leaves traveler covered in urine...OT
Read this~~~~ Your customizable and curated collection of the best in trusted news plus coverage of sports, entertainment, money, weather, travel, health and lifestyle, combined with Outlook/Hotmail,...
1
1

Humidifier Recommendation
I've scheduled a furnace replacement for next month. It will be a 95% high efficiency natural gas unit. The contractor wanted an additional $600 to install an Aprilaire 600 whole house humidifier. The...
4
4

Can a Remote Control Thermostat replace My Existing Thermostat?
Hello Everyone, I'm thinking about buying a remote control thermostat for my bedroom but want to be sure the unit I buy will is compatible with my thermostat. I'm disabled and once in bed, cannot get...
6
6

Backflow check valve necessity?
Durring renovations of my home eight years ago, my contractor installed a water backflow prevention valve on my water heater. I think he told me it was required by code at the time, so I didn't think...
12
12

Way OT: Loon Over MyYammy
I went to HEB [a local food market chain] tonight. I got a cart from the outside cart collection. I passed a mountain of yams - six for a dollar. "Hmm," said I, "that seems reasonable." So I bagged up...
13
13

Black Friday at the Dollar Store
"Another thing you can do along the same lines, is buy a larger metal bucket, build up the bottom with newspaper, top with metallic shred and add four cans or bottles of beer, along with the glasses,...
2
2

As seen on TV! Twin Draft Guard
Flipping through the "vast wasteland"[1], now and again I run across a commercial that catches my attention. The Twin Draft Guard was one such. Looks like an actual Good Idea, to keep air from...
8
8

TSA/scanner nightmare
I don't know that it will help much, but there is an electronic form letter/petition to sign at was surprised that there are just over 2,000 signatures. I expected many more.
1
1

Floor to ceiling, wall to wall bookcase materials
Tight budget, and I'm a novice diy'er. My wife wants my to build a wall to wall bookcase that is floor to ceiling. There will actually be 3 sections because we want the end sections to have...
9
9

Need fast drying grout for bathroom tiles in shower/tub area
I have to replace some dirty and moldy grout between the tiles above the bathtub. But the grout I saw sold at the hardware store said that it has to stay dry for 36 hours. That would be impossible,...
13
13

Furnace question
Anybody happen to know how much initial startup amperage is used for a furnace just coming on, starting its vent motor, and running the glow starter for a gas furnace? I'm needing to know what a...
22
22

Removing smell from items
Long story, made short. Started with new smelly luggage. Chamber maid tried to remove smell by spraying some cleaner on it. I sprayed a second dose of this cleaner on it (outside). Next I placed...
9
9