Subject Author Posted Replies

Signs fire ants are under control or gone under house foundation.
Hi, I've posted a few times about our fire ant problem in our house in Central = Texas where in September 2010 we had a full infestation of fire ants within= our newly constructed house. But it seems,...

How to select a cordless screwdriver.
------------------------------------- __!__ -----o----- " " Hi folks, This is my first posting after joining this forum. I'm prepared to purchase a cordless screwdriver for home...
23
23

key ring where to buy?
Hello all... was frustrated recently by a key ring and realized that I'd been meaning to ask for a while where one should buy them. Of course, the obvious answer would be "a hardware store" or "a...
39
39

Buying a used air compressor: tips?
I'm thinking about buying a used electric air compressor for light use around the house. I've owned a compressor before, but I've never bought a used one before. What should I watch out for, apart...
70
70

How to repair garage door weatherstrip?
Hi, the rubber weatherstrip under my garage door is breaking apart. How do I replace or repair it? Do I have to remove the 2 wheels on either side of the door in order to remove the weatherstrip from...
6
6

Drop ceiling options, sound insulation, etc.
I am finishing a basement level apartment in a 3-unit building and I need to decide how to finish the ceiling. All of the plumbing, gas lines, etc. for all 3 units are either between the ceiling...
9
9

Sweating a Threaded Connection
Besides getting laughed at by your co-workers and cursed at by the person who tries to get it apart, what's wrong with soldering a threaded connection? A co-worker was telling me about his first foray...
12
12

3 sided garage
I am looking for some guidance on a garage issue that I have. The back story is that I have acquired a house that was built in 1978-79 in Alberta, Canada. The house was finished and then the garage...
8
8

how to remove glued down carpet
might want to put down wood flooring...but floor has carpeting glued down...what's teh best way to get this stuff up? thanks all
15
15

Sprinkler zones
Our water comes from our well. When we built, we had sprinklers installed...keeps the weeds healthy :) There are two sprinkler zones. Each has sufficient outlets so that the well pump runs constantly...
28
28

OT: Whatever happened to Yak long distance?
Yak long distance is/was a Canadian phone company that provided long distance service in the US for about $1/month and a nickel/min. When I dialed 10-10-925-xxxx last month, the call went thru and I...
8
8

Piling snow around tree trunks - good, bad, or neither?
I've been keeping a circular area of my backyard clear of snow under a maple tree by using a snow blower to concentrate the snow closer to the trunk of the tree. I've probably gone overboard doing it....
17
17

Freezer question
I got a free freezer, which I was going to gut and use for a fermentation chamber for beer. It's insulated, and would work with a thermostatic timer hooked to a heat lamp. When I got it home, it...
11
11

Special backer-rod for fireplace?
I bought some fireblock caulk that I plan to seal the gaps around my prefab fireplace with, but the gaps are large in some places. Do I just use regular backer-rod, or is there a special...
3
3

Homeopathics exposed - Yay!
Randi the magician. This beloved, white-bearded Skeptic has been trying for years to pay out a million dollars to anyone who can prove the efficacy of these drugs. A good read! HB
57
57