Subject Author Posted Replies

Do they make 6 inch concrete blocks?
I have a small deck built in stacked 8 inch concrete blocks. I first put in concrete pads in the ground, then stacked three 8 inch concrete blocks on top and built the deck on them. This deck was fine...
62
62

thread like scratches in my window?
i have big old windows, i was cleaing/removing the edges so i can caulk these edges. now i see scratches in my windows starting from the buttom and go up not not to the middle of the window (lower)....
6
6

Off N Pop, versus the Jesus Method
That is just an easy way to damage the breaker and possibly cause a fire if it fails to trip. Why not just get a circuit tracer and do it correctly. You can get one from HF for less money than you...
15
15

Samsung TV repair question.
I have an analog Samsung TV which I bought in 2000. It is around 32 inches. The problem is the image keeps getting 'squeezed'--the sides cave in and the image takes on the shape of an hourglass. In...
19
19

Clothes dryer taking too long
We have a Frigadaire clothes dryer that is about 7 years old. On the "normal" setting it used to dry the clothes in 50 minutes. Then we had to start adding 15 minutes to get them dry. Now an...
30
30

putting a fabric on existing sump basin in ground.
Ok, someone screwed up. I put my sump basin in the basement floor, and used about 7 bags of 3/4 gravel in the pit (350 lbs worth). everything looks good. Then I realized I forgot to wrap the basin...
5
5

The best laid plans of Rock Salt and Drains
In the continuing saga of my "roots in the drain" issue, I decided to apply the first 25 lbs of dissolved salt this morning just prior to leaving for work. Last night I put a 20 gallon storage tub on...
13
13

Painting class
Went to the local Home & Garden Show and sat in on a painting class. Here are some hints I gleaned. You probably know most of them. * Don't mask window glass - use Chapstick! Use cling-wrap on...
20
20

Washing Machine AC motor
Hi, I have a used Washing Machine AC motor, it has 3 cables, two of them are connected with starting capacitor and the other one direct to AC main(220V). Now I want to use this motor and connect to AC...
1
1

Why don't ovens have temp gauges
I mean the average residential oven. I've never seen one with a temp gauge. Is it because the oven manufacturers don't want you to know how inaccurate their ovens are compared with the setting on the...
36
36

Does cotton/polyester work well as a rag.
Two friends are arguing about rags. One says they have to be all cotton to work well, and the other says 30 or 60 or 80% cotton and the rest polyester will work well too. Who is right? They need to...
22
22

Garage door opener Light
Old Sears 1/3 hp garage door opener works fine. Only trouble is the light went out and replacing the bubs did not work. Any ideas? -------------------------------------
10
10

brace / bracket without pre-drilled holes - truck bed rail flag project
anyone know where I can get a corner brace (1"W x 1"W x 5" L x .125" thick) and a T-brace or L-brace (1"W x 5"L x 5"L x .125" thick) or without pre-drilled holes? I've looked at Home Depot & Lowes....
5
5

Backstab Outlets
I know the feelings of the group when it comes to backstab outlets that use the little spring clip. What is the feeling about the more expensive back wire outlets that use the screw to apply pressure...
13
13

Weird electrical problem
A few weeks ago I plugged in my vacuum cleaner (a Hoover Elite, Chinese-made, and less than two years old) into an electrical outlet in my dining room. The vacuum cleaner tried to come to life for a...
31
31