12" rough-in toilets actually measure 10"?

On Sep 5, 9:34am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Good pick up. I skipped over the part where he was measuring from the flange bolts and not the centerline.

I am of the opinion without any proof that this RO measurement has evolved a bit over the years. Most likely as a result of the smaller tanks using 1.6 gal.
35 years ago if you were installing a new flange we measured out from the studs 12-1/2". Then about 20 years ago that was suddenly leaving way too much room behind the tank.
So let's surmise that it is now a 12" RO from the studs, add 1/2" of drywall, 5/8" of base and 1/2" of shoe base and you depending on what you measured, where and how well you could easily be 10-10-1/2" from the shoe base to the center of the flange.
The only way you will ever know for sure is buy it, open carefully and dry fit the thing.
I just went in and measure my Mansfield. The measurement is 11-1/2" from the shoe base to bolts. The Mansfield unlike many cheaper BORG units has a tapered back so that it is closer to wall at the top than it is at the bottom. Even with that I have an inch between the tank lid and the wall. Most of the BORG units have a straight back on the tank. Over the years I have routinely added a small scrap of 2x4 to the wall behind the tank to prevent tenants from breaking something when the feel the need to recline on the john.
I have a hunch that the $80 jonnie in box from Lowes will work just fine for you though you may choose to upgrade the seat.
--
Colbyt

Errm...the flange bolts _are_ on the centerline. At least they asre if those are the bolts used to fasten down the toilet.
Harry K
Mikepier wrote:

Here's a link to a few blurbs about the rough-in measurements, people's preferences, etc.:
http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/outlet-11-wall-can-use-12-rough-toilet-275915-last.html
As far as I can tell, different people have different preferences regarding how far from the wall the tank should end up being. I have seen many setups where the distance is one or two inches, and the two-inch distance seems a little strange to me. I would rather see the distance be much smaller, maybe 1/2-inch, but not have the tank actually touching the wall (so taking the tank cover off won't involve rubbing it against the wall).
But, given the above discussion link, I think maybe you'll get what you want by buying one of the 12-inch rough-in toilets you saw. If you take careful measurements, which you appear to have done, the end result seems like it would be that the 12-inch toilet you buy will fit well in the space you have and will end up with the tank close to, or touching, the wall.