Subject Author Posted Replies

Cement question
A contractor had to cut into my basement floor, and filled the gap with new cement. Where the new cement meets the old there's a thick brown line. He said this is impossible to avoid, it's a moisture...
33
33

hardwood floor refinish
I had my floors professionally done six years ago. They looked great for 4 years. Then I got two dogs... Now, they still look barely good, they polyurethane is almost gone. I know how to fill in some...
23
23

Faucet key 3/8 inch
In existance, there are outdoor water faucets, which have a 3/8 inch square shaft. To open the door, one needs a facuet key which has a 3/8 square hole in the end. Here is one such: another such....
14
14

CFL Bulb Fails!
Wife's desk lamp. Feit 13/60 Watt curly. Didn't explode, just wouldn't light up. I see her opening a 4 pack of CFL's down here in the basement. I asked her how old the failed bulb was. She said four...
8
8

Joke: This explains it
A mechanic was removing a cylinder head from the engine of a Harley Davidson motorcycle when he spotted a well-known heart surgeon in his shop.. The mechanic shouted across the garage, "Hey, Doc, can...
7
7

How can I tell whether speaker wire is 14 gauge?
Got some new speaker wire from an Amazon vendor today. It was claimed to be 14GA but looks to be a bit less. The wire is marked 14GA but the bag says BRX-14 and nothing about gauge or size of any kind...
40
40

Copper wire
Is it really worth it?
3
3

How to price a wine rack (Kedco KM series 24"x 46 3/8" x 38 7/8")
I am scoping out buying a custom made or existing wine rack similar to the Kedco KM series 24"x 46 3/8" x 38 7/8" which is shown here: 've already called Kedco who will be giving me a spec - but where...
12
12

Room Fan Air Direction
I thought it was blow down in summer, suck up in winter. I had an energy audit guy come over today and he said the opposite - blow down in winter, suck up in summer. His argument, the ceiling is...
5
5

Toilet wax ring
Has anybody tried the "Sani-Seal" no wax replacement for the toilets wax ring? Hank
19
19

Good old 100W bulbs dirt cheap!
For those of you who still like plain old bulbs for certain applications, I was at HD last night and they have standard 100W incandescent bulbs from Phillips.... 16 for $3! That's right, Sixteen for...
56
56

Connecting old plumbing. . .
I realize that I'm asking a very general and ambiguous question, but I really have no better view of my plumbing problem than someone reading this for the first time. So let me just say, I'm only...
13
13

Battery Charger (Which lead is the POS)?
I have a battery charger I bought at an auction. It works (lights an auto headlight), but it came without the battery clamps. I bought some clamps, but cant identify which wire is the POS and the NEG....
22
22

Vinyl Siding
Hello Experts! I recently purchased a house and know it will need a new paint job within the coming year. I would rather install vinyl siding and be done with it. I will not be doing the job myself,...
55
55

Amish man willing to install electricity In his home
It's pretty clear that they don't think cars are per se evil, because they don't object, I'm told by someone who should know, to their 16 to 18 year old children** having cars. Sometimes they park...
13
13