Subject Author Posted Replies

Chronic plumbing problems
Lately, it has been nothing but one plumbing problem after another in my house. My toilet valve doesn't always close completely, and will sometimes drip-drip-drip into the lower bowl until the next...
4
4

gas hob ignition
Sounds like the electronic ignition module has failed. I have a similar problem, a new module costing me almost $80!. It mounts on the back of the propane range, is about the size of a pkg of American...
2
2

Heating oil prices give the shivers
"While natural gas prices have plummeted to 10-year lows, heating oil prices have been steadily rising for years and are expected to reach record levels this winter, precipitated by higher costs for...
18
18

PVC Suggestions/Help Requested MAPP Gas Question
2 Part Question: I have had to fix several PVC pipes in my home. The first was probably the result of a frozen pipe in the main pipe to my home. It was roughly a 300 feet run of pipe wth the break...
7
7

sistering joists
some time ago i inquired about fastening some steel plate to the sides of some 100+ year old, full dimension, rough cut oak floor joists to stiffen them up. I've decided to sister them with like sized...
46
46

Hot tub wiring
Can I use 2/12 wiring for a 240 volt 22 amp hot tub.? I have about 50 feet of 2/12 wire already wired from my electrical panel to outside. This wire used to be for a pool heater but I no longer have...
8
8

Humor: About retirees
Retirement ! Question: How many days in a week? Answer: 6 Saturdays, 1 Sunday Question: When is a retiree's bedtime? Answer: Three hours after he falls asleep on the couch. Question: How many retirees...
12
12

Would this be a weak Pole Transformer?
I was at the tire shop the other day and had to use the restroom. While in the restroom the lights suddenly went to half brightness, and I heard their air compressor kick on in the shop. When I went...
9
9

Chain Saw Lathe
Check this out. The chain saw supplies the power to spin the post while cutting it. At about 4:30 into the video he shows how he uses a weighted board to slow the post down so the chainsaw will cut...
1
1

Opinions: Lumber Lok Tri-Vise
Has anybody tried this product? It's $20 at my local Lowes. Looks like you just stick your board into the appropriate slot, put a foot on it, and cut. I handled one at Lowes and it seems sturdy...
12
12

Charging a Battery Booster Pack
I bought one of those Battery Booster packs at an auction. I did not come with the charger, which is one of those wall-wart transformers, rated at 12v (I looked it up online). Since I dont know if...
37
37

Cement question
A contractor had to cut into my basement floor, and filled the gap with new cement. Where the new cement meets the old there's a thick brown line. He said this is impossible to avoid, it's a moisture...
33
33

hardwood floor refinish
I had my floors professionally done six years ago. They looked great for 4 years. Then I got two dogs... Now, they still look barely good, they polyurethane is almost gone. I know how to fill in some...
23
23

Faucet key 3/8 inch
In existance, there are outdoor water faucets, which have a 3/8 inch square shaft. To open the door, one needs a facuet key which has a 3/8 square hole in the end. Here is one such: another such....
14
14

CFL Bulb Fails!
Wife's desk lamp. Feit 13/60 Watt curly. Didn't explode, just wouldn't light up. I see her opening a 4 pack of CFL's down here in the basement. I asked her how old the failed bulb was. She said four...
8
8