Subject Author Posted Replies

Cleaning pc
One of my pc's has a health check program, which supposedly checks the pc for problems. The last time it ran, it gave me a message that the pc should periodically be cleaned. I've been doing this with...
27
27

Waste septic Diagnosis?
Facts: 2 story home w/plastic waste pipes (black) to a septic tank. 2 2nd floor comodes and showers, 1 mail floor comode. Washer, etc. Already done: inspection of 1st floor comode drain to main line...
3
3

Where did Harbor Freight come from?
There's been a lot of discussion over the years...seems as though were some serious fallings-out within the family as well. I don't know too much and don't really care to dig it out; it's essentially...
4
4

10 Home fixes
From Popular Mechanics thought do-it-yourself stump-grinding and sealing an asphalt driveway were interesting (although I have neither). Where there's a will (and a little skill), there's a way to cut...

Battery Question - Not as dumb as it might first seem. Would appreciate any advice.
My question: When do you throw a battery away? The obvious answer I think everyone will advise is "When it quits working." However, I need a bit more advice then that. I have about 50 AA and AAA...
30
30

Phantom door bell ringing
I have a hard-wired door chime. In the past year something has been randomly ringing the door bell, even at night. This happens maybe once a week and is unnerving when it happens at 4 AM. The video...
25
25

Intermatic ST01 timer on 3 way circuit operating a light
Still struggling to get it right. Its wired up but not working. I just checked the connections but I'm going to re-check for the hot wire at both ends (hot/main and leg/remote) so I can confirm its...
24
24

Is this a reasonable fee for a concrete slab?
I need to have a concrete slab poured to provide a place to anchor a 330 gallon propane tank so it won't float away in the next flood. I live on a barrier island (Topsail Beach, NC) and we sometimes...
12
12

3 way switches shows 2 hot wires
I measured a 3 way switch and I got two wires on 2 different screws measuring 120 volts. I thought only one should be hot??? I'm in a rush so I can't write a lot but if looking at the switch with...
24
24

Garage Doors Advice Needed
I live in Florida. My house was built in 1983 and the garage door is the one that came with the house. I did have it "upgraded" back in 2007 - the door is the same but it was braced. The codes have...
9
9

Can Ground wire be wire nutted in EVERY state?
Location Maricopa County, AZ New construction here has wire nuts on HOT and NEUTRAL, but the ground wire is twisted and then crimped with a metal tube. Does code allow, in every location, to use a...
5
5

electric screwdrive bits
I have an old skill battery powered screwdriver that uses double end bits, one end of the bit is for slotted screws and the other for Phillips. The bit is held in magnetically. I have a newer Hitachi...
3
3

ground wires
I will be wiring a timer with a ground that connects to the existing ground in the wall. The existing ground is actually two wires twisted together and wirenutted. If I remove this wirenut and add...
26
26

3 way switch ground wiring (ignor my neutral wiring thread)
I have a electrical box that I pulled out the 3 way switch for examining the wiring. It has one two wire cable and one three wire cable going into it. The white wires are wire nutted together and so...
12
12

one-wire pole transformers
I just noticed that all the residential transformers on the poles on my street only have one wire feeding them. There are three wires on top of the pole. One wire in, and three wires out to the...
68
68