Tool for Grout Removal

I need to remove and regrout our master bath shower. I'm trying to figure out what's the easiest way to do this -- that is, what tool to use.

There's the Dremel tool with its grout removal attachment. And, there are these Oscillating Multi-Tools --

Are there other power tools that are better? If not, which of these is the best to use?

Reply to
jim evans

The Dremel tool works but they're expensive and don't last long. I went through ~20 of them (and a Dremel motor - the dust is a motor killer), doing the tub surround in my last house. If you go this way, buy the bits online. Dremel's price is obscene; would have gone broke using them.

I haven't tried a multi-tool for this job but I'd certainly give it a try. The Dremel method was painful and not perfect (hard to hold a line).

Reply to
krw

jim evans wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've no experience with this,but.... seems like the Fein oscillating style multi-tool(AC powered,not battery) would hold up better than the Dremel. trying to guide that Dremel rotary bit between the tiles may be difficult,and tiring. it would be OK for what the multitool can't reach.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Exactly what I'd use if I had to do the job again (don't plan on it). If the dust killed it, no matter. OTOH, cordless has its advantages, here. The tools has to be held at odd angles and the tail would be a nuisance. The Dremel tools I used were cordless.

Reply to
krw

The variable speed oscillating tool from Harbor Freight is just right for the job. Don't worry about wearing it out. I've had one similar (non variable) for three years and it stlll works just fine. A diamond blade might be the best choice...try some of the other to be sure.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Just a shower stall? Not too bad a job for the Dremel. I did my shower stall several years ago. I am not a tool tech, so limited my tips to the ones specific for grout removal. My tiles were 1" x 4", floor to ceiling. Only "problem", a minor one, was that some tiles were too close together to use the tip....I ended up with a couple of very minute chips when the tip hit the narrow spots. Regrouting, for me, was kind of tough because it needs more muscle than I have; got it done, though.

Strangest issue was how much soap scum that could stick to an often-cleaned, beige matte tile. Kept smelling soap, even after scrubbing with detergent and plastic scrubber...finally took out the razor scraper. My grout was not in bad shape, only a few pinholes; decided it was time after a couple of neighbors in the condo had major floods and rotted walls (owners who never did anything in the way of preventive maint.).

Reply to
Norminn

This is a *log* process. I doubt you're going to get it done in one sitting (standing) anyway. I think it took me a couple of weeks, with *many* trips to HD (buying them out of bits) and at least one Internet bit purchase. As I said, I did it with a cordless Dremel and it's a lot wimpier than my cordless (Bosch) multi-tool.

BTW, whatever the OP does, make sure to protect the tub! The grit will destroy a fiberglass tub and I doubt it'll do even a cast/porcelain one any good.

Reply to
krw