$0.76 Black and Decker trimmer part...

and it's $13 shipping fee for the SLOWEST way (14 days minimum) or $28 for 2 day air.

The guy on ebay selling the part for $5.00 used might be a better deal cause he only charges $6.00 for UPS shipping...

Black and Decker, sigh.......

Reply to
Duesenberg

Did you already try your local repair shops? They might have it in stock or at least not have to charge shipping if it comes in another order.

Otherwise you might find it online somewhere else.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Jon Danniken wrote in news:jvoolk$skq$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

You used to be able to order B&D parts at your local DeWalt authorized service center. you might check to see if you have one in your area.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The "authorized" Dewalt/Black&Decker/PorterCable sells the part to me the consumer for $15.00 PLUS tax if I pick up. They are the largest Black and Decker service centre in Canada but they don't stock this particular part so it's a 3 week wait they said. I haven't checked out any others in my part of Ontario but this large one closest one is 35 minutes away and the tolls for the hiway will be about 3 or 4 bucks. Taking a non-toll hiway will add about 15 minutes each way.

Local service shop in my town has dealt with Black and Decker in past but says Black and Decker needs a minimum $50 order before Black and Decker ships out, and since he rarely ever fixes Black and Decker or Dewalt parts, it might take him weeks to compile a minimum order. He said He'll charge me 9 or 10 bucks but he looked, sounded, and acted like he wants nothing to do with Dewalt/BandD.

I'm contacting some buddies who might need black and decker parts to at least make the shipping charge worthwhile.

Reply to
Duesenberg

That's what I was going to write.

.

Did you already try your local repair shops? They might have it in stock or at least not have to charge shipping if it comes in another order.

Otherwise you might find it online somewhere else.

Jon

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Duesenberg wrote the following on 8/6/2012 11:06 AM (ET):

No one has asked what the part is yet? It may be the same part as used on another brand of trimmer. It might also be a part of an item that can be eliminated with another replacement item like the string head, etc. Maybe someone here even has the part. For $.076 it can't be too elaborate.

Reply to
willshak

Cover plate for the spool/line wheel. Apparently I bought the only model of black and decker to use this plate. Supposedly a craftsman cordless model, made by B and D took, the same piece of plastic. Will try bugging Sears tomorrow but the local Sears here has a very poor reputation for helping people with craftsmen questions.

Reply to
Duesenberg

You might try a Sears parts and repair facility instead of a regular store. Moderate to large cities usually have them (check the yellow pages). The retail stores are useless for these sorts of things. I've found their parts and repair stores pretty good. If they don't have it, shipping has been quite reasonable.

Reply to
krw

On 8/6/2012 4:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

And if that fails, simply replacing the head w/ one off the shelf at the local Ace will probably bring more joy...

--

Reply to
dpb

Good point.

Reply to
krw

That's a good idea!

Reply to
Duesenberg

I replaced that original reel head that required a tap to feed more string out with one bought at Lowe's. The one I have now takes 2 pieces of string about 8" long that are fed in on one side of the head until the end comes out the other side. I just keep a couple of extra pieces in my pocket to change the string in the field. There is currently an ad on the TV for a replacement reel that I might try next. They show it cutting through a piece of plywood (very thin, I might add) and banging the head against a wire fence.

I think it was this one.

willshak

I've seen that ad, but I always thought half the point of a "string" trimme= r was that you didn't have to worry about damaging things while trimming. W= hy would you want a head that will peel that bark off the base of a tree? T= o save a few dollars a year on string?

Of course, if you don't have any trees or sheds or sprinklers...maybe it ma= kes sense...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Where are you located? I go past my local B&D / Dewalt repair depot

4 times a week. Give me the part number and I'll see what I can do for you here in Kitchener/Waterloo
Reply to
clare

was that you didn't have to worry about damaging things while trimming. Why would you want a head that will peel that bark off the base of a tree? To save a few dollars a year on string?

Hitting any of those things would be a mistake. All string trimmers are capable of doing damage to objects or even your body. In some cases even killing a frog that was hidden in the grass near the pool.

Reply to
willshak