Thistle weed

Any good ideas on how to control thistle ? We have sprayed in the past but it is very tough and needs a very strong mixture - and we would rather avoid poisons if we can. . We are now digging plants up as we find them. I've seen propane torches with long nozzles advertised and I'm tempted to spend the money.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I torch weeds in cracks between pavers. All you have to do is wilt them. They die rather quickly, after that. No need to burn them to a crisp. Besides, we don't need an "I burned the farm down, and all that was left was a 10" stick." type of thread. ;)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Funny - good for a hearty chuckle.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Get some sheep.

Reply to
do_see

What did you spray the thistle with, besides something that is poisonous to thistle?

Reply to
Steveo

No - we did use Round-up a few years ago but would rather not use it again.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

So you're looking for an alternative to physically pulling the thistle out of the dirt that, is not a chemical control?

Reply to
Steveo

Ride through the Dakota badlands and you'll see that thistle is a cash crop for many farmers. Thousands of acres of it. Harvested for bird seed. What is one man's weed is another man's livelyhood.

Bob

Reply to
Bob