Skag 52 ZTR

Anyone have one to post a revue?

TIA

Reply to
Steveo

I don't have one, so I can't post about it per-say, I'm a toro man myself. You may want to check these sites out, they may have some information for you.

(may have and artical or two on scag..?)

Reply to
Timothy

Thanks anyway, Tim. I'm looking for a hands on revue, but not holding my breath. Looks like a fairly tuff cutter..$8400 USD with bagger.

Anyone own one?

Reply to
Steveo

'olly crap, for that price it better come with a drink holder...lol I'm running a toro 37 proline atm. I decided If I ever needed to get a bigger mower, I'm mowing way too much grass 8)

Reply to
Timothy

I've never cut grass for a living so far, Tim. I've fed 1200-1400 lawns since 1978 tho, so I'm only going to cut 35- 45 of the good ones, with no fence gates to contend with and such.

This is sort of an experiment for me. :)

Reply to
Steveo

That's a good deal of cash to invest for an experiment, but to each his own.It won't loose it's value over a season or two. I can mow 4 acres an hour with my toro 37 with a velkey. With a toro 48, I believe it's somewhere near 6 acres an hour. You could pick up a new proline 48 for around 5,000 . Of course this is a walk/tow behind and you have to stand on the velkey, which I favor anyhow. Either way, good luck to you and enjoy cutting those mid-western lawns ;0)

Reply to
Timothy

Where are you located Steveo?

Reply to
GFRfan

Where are you located Steveo?

Reply to
GFRfan

'Good deal of' is relative in this case, the end justifies the mean.

That's it right there in a nutshell. I'm not concerned with the mowers cost, I was looking for an opinion from an owner.

Thanks for the kind words tho. :)

Reply to
Steveo

I'm SW of Cleveland Ohio, in Medina.

Reply to
Steveo

do a search on

or you might have to ask the question. I do know a lot of people there run scag.

Reply to
op4_camper

. I can mow 4 acres an

If you can mow 3 -4 acres in a hour with a 37 inch walk behind I have a whole lot of work for you.

Reply to
op4_camper

Thanks, op4.

Reply to
Steveo

I have a slight interest in the smaller ZTR's that will fit through a

36" fence gate, since most of the yards I'd be cutting are in the 12K or less range and have fences. The trouble being, those small ZTR's are not much less expensive than the 52's.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Steveo

well you answered your own question. If you have gates then you have to get a 36" or a 42" . Most times but not all times you can just fit a 42" thru a

36" gate.

Heres a

with 42" deck. Or you could buy a smaller 36 walkbehind duel hydro.and a 52 ztr.

What ever mower you get make sure that it has a Manufactured deck and not a stamp deck. This is one of the most important things when buying a mower.

The other option is this mower which hinges.

Full 52" cut with wing deployed. a.. 37-3/4" maximum width with wing up. a.. Most efficient gated estates mowing.

Reply to
op4_camper

As far as the 36" gates go, there are only one of your worries. You need to factor in other general obstacles such as trees, fences and the like. After many years of using different equiptment, I personally feel the the toro 36 or 37 is just about the perfect mower for 1.5 acre or less. I can fit through most any gate out there and I can ring most trees within two inches. Takes me no time at all to add on the velkey (sulkey) or to remove it, so I can change up or down depending on the lawn that needs to be done. If I have a larger lawn, less complicated lawn, I put on the velkey and fly right through. This is my mower:

I have the single wheel sulkey, but will be buying the nice two wheeled sulkey this season:

I said before, you end up standing instead of sitting, but to each his own. The best part is that Toro Proline products are completly American made.

Reply to
Timothy

Thanks Tim, I'll give that serious consideration. Part of my selection process includes dealer proximity to my warehouse, there a about 5 of them that are close enough, but none are Toro dealers.

Reply to
Steveo

Thanks again, op4_camper. Also, that lawnsite.com forum you turned me on to is fairly helpful, in a talking shop sort of way.

Reply to
Steveo

Steveo, do you have experience with ZTR's? I have a Bobcat with 61" it was 2 yrs old with 1400 hours. I bought it from a commercial outfit for $3k with a trac vac. I am above average on maintainence, and not faint of heart. I have 3 acres with a lot of trees. I learned the hard way not to hose it, or power wash it. There cannot be a better application for a ZTR, especially in the fall with the Trac Vac. My neighbors have services that come in and the commercial guys around here are buying Dixie Choppers. The latest models look far beyond what ZTRs were just a couple of years ago.

ZTRs are many steps up for maintenance, believe me.

Reply to
Justbrilliant

This will be my first.

Huh?

Why not?

I thought about Dixie Chopper but there's no dealer close enough to me. I'll only buy from a local guy.

Ever own a scag?

Reply to
Steveo