Salt-resistant grass seed?

Is there some sort of seed I can use next to the road? They use salt during the winter and it kills the grass. However, there are some weeds that survive nicely. So, I'm wondering if there is a grass that will do the same.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

where abouts do you live?

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Around here many people build a triangular wall from slats of wood and plastic. Not real pretty but saves the grass.

Reply to
GFRfan

If you're looking for traditional turf grass, then tall fescue, creeping fescue, and bermuda grass are among the most salt tolerant. Blue grass is more adversely affected by salt.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Mass. but the problem exists wherever it snows.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

I'm a big fan of tall fescue. In fact, I just scraped up the weeds and planted tall fescue this morning. Ask me in the spring how it survived.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

That would be interesting since tall fescue requires warmer soil temps than rye or bluegrass to establish.

Reply to
Steveo

Not to rain on your parade but you are way late to plant fescue in Massachusetts. You should be planting in early September or even late August. If you are lucky the seed will survive through the winter and sprout in the spring. If you are unlucky it will simply rot between now and then.

If nothing germinates (which unfortunately is likely) you can wait until spring and sow new seed. Wait until the nighttime temps are no lower than 50F then sow your fescue.

Good luck,

William W. Plummer wrote:

Reply to
John Crichton

Some of the tall fescue I planted about a month ago has sprouted. Except for one cold night, the daytime temps have been in the 60's and

70's. I figure the seed is getting a bit old but I'm not sure when I bought it. So, I might as well plant it and hope it grows.
Reply to
William W. Plummer

Anything you planted a month ago will most likely make it. What you want is for the seed to germinate and become somewhat established before you have a hard freeze.

Just another word of advice. It looks like you are posting with your real email address. Unfortunately there are spammers who run automated programs (bots) that do nothing but comb through usenet newsgroups looking for email addresses to add to their email list. Posting with your real address generally results tons of unwanted spam. You either need to mangle your email address (like snipped-for-privacy@alum.mit.edu) or just invent a bogus address (like snipped-for-privacy@spacelysprockets.com).

Reply to
John Crichton