Grass seed?

I need a lawn expert here. I live in central Illinois and need to start thinking about the next item on my Honey Do list, grass. The biggest problem I have are two BIG dogs and how to grow grass with them trampling everything. What type of grass seed will stand up to two dogs in a small back yard?

Reply to
mgarvie

In their roadways NOTHING:(

Dogs are creatures of habit and our 4 have a road system in the back yard:(

Even had a friends dog here, he followed the EXACT same path including a little zig.'

I am looking at sakrete pavers in the road areas or perforated artificial turf that allows grass growth. artifical turf takes the punding in the winter

those with dogs dont have beautiful yards,,,,

Reply to
hallerb

In their roadways NOTHING:(

Dogs are creatures of habit and our 4 have a road system in the back yard:(

Even had a friends dog here, he followed the EXACT same path including a little zig.'

I am looking at sakrete pavers in the road areas or perforated artificial turf that allows grass growth. artifical turf takes the punding in the winter

those with dogs dont have beautiful yards,,,,

Reply to
hallerb

Scots has a brand called Play its supposed to be better, Ive always had dogs but you will never keep a good lawn with dogs. One thing I did was use the 2ft decorative garden fencing to to give half the lawn a rest at a time and use heavy feeding to try to keep a lawn ok. In the winter they realy kill it so then I fenced the whole lawn giving them only a run area I would sacrifice. If part can rest it helps alot, annual rye can come in heavy and starts in 3-5 days, so id mix Play and Quick start and starter fertiliser. Dogs are work.

Reply to
m Ransley

Dogs will deteriorate a lawn very quickly. One solution is to fence off an area just for the dogs. Another is to get rid of the dogs.

Reply to
Phisherman

============================== I'll take the dog....The lawn will just have to take care od itself...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

First, you want a grass that is tough and suited for that area. Assuming it gets sun, my choice would be a good turf type tall fescue. Normally, fescue is a clump type grass, meaning the plant grows in one clump and won't send out rhizomes to spread. However, there are now some varieties available that have been developed to spread. They still don't spread as readily as bluegrass, but they will spread to fill in bare spots over time, which a regular fescue won't. RTF is one variety, you can search for it on the web. I've also seen it at HD. That could be a good choice. Of course as others have pointed out, if the dogs are on it a lot, there maybe areas that you really can't maintain.

If you go that route, I would probably wait till fall, which is optimum time, then kill what's there, and use a core aerator, then a slice seeder to establish the new lawn.

Reply to
trader4

A fenced concret run.

Reply to