REQUEST SUGGESTIONS FOR SHADY LAWN/FLOWER BEDS

I have two mature red maples in front of the house which throw a lot of heavy shade over most of the yard. I have had yearly problems getting grass, flowers and shrubs to grow in this area. Last year, I planted a special "shade lawn" seed obtained from one of the on-line/mail-order seed companies. Since the grass seed was planted in the early fall, last year, it is too early to determine if the grass will actually grow this year (crossed fingers!) Assuming I have a problem with the grass again this year, where can I get advice about what lawn seed to plant in this area? In addition, where can I get information about selecting the correct flowers and bushes to plant in beds and along walkways in this shady area? (Location = Central New Jersey; 2 miles from shore) Thanks!

Reply to
Bruce H. Newman

Steveo

I'm in NJ too and I've had good results with Johnathon Green Dense Shade or Shady Nook Mixes. Both are mixes of mostly creeping fescue which does well in shady areas. However, you have a bigger problem and that is the trees themselves. Most maples are known for being impossible to grow grass under because they have roots which stay close to the surface. In many cases, they are visible near the trunk. The roots suck up water, nutrients and space, which combined with the shade, kill the grass. You may have better success with plants other than grass. I would also make sure to test the soil and adjust the PH, as in areas like this that can be way off.

If you're trying to grow grass in areas shaded by trees, spring is the best time to seed. With no leaves in early spring, it gets more light. Plus you don't have leaves soon coming down that have to be kept off the new grass, which is a big headache.

Reply to
trader4