Grass Seed Recommendation

Hi

I'm in the process of razing my back garden to the ground in readiness for converting it into a smallholding.

There are lots of bare patches and I'm looking for a suggestion for cheap, fast growing robust grass seed.

Thinking along the lines of the sort of stuff road builders chuck on the side of new road embankments...

I just want it to grow, and grow quickly! Aesthetics are not all that important.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

Great - many thanks. From reading the descriptions, the multipurpose one looks like the best bet.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

In message , Steve Lupton writes

Is that small holding as in *grazing animals* or just somewhere to park the chicken coop?

Most sown grass is a mix of varieties chosen to suit the use required.

Hmm... Quick growing could be a poor specification, Westerwolds Rye grass is an annual which heads up in about 6 months and then dies:-)

Have a look at

You may not want a highly productive grass if you have to keep mowing. If you intend to crop it you need clover or fertiliser.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The goats will probably nibble on the grass but it won't be their primary diet.

I never thought grass could be so complicated!

I've had quite a good read of that site now - some useful info on there.

I'm hoping it will sort of look after itself - certainly don't intend on mowing it very much - if at all.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

In message , Steve Lupton writes

I used a mixture designed for *sports turf* applications for our lawn as the land is a long way short of bowling green status.

My grandfather kept goats; grazed tethered to a pin by a length of chain.

Grass palatability could be an issue. Environmental mixes tend to be short, slow growing and may not be very appetising. Goats are browsers and will prefer brambles anyway. Long term grazing with no nutrient return will deplete soil reserves of essential chemicals but this takes years.

You might need to check the DEFRA site for regulations regarding the keeping of livestock. You ought to be registered with a veterinary practice prepared to treat large animals and may need a holding number.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Goats are not grazers, they are primarily browsers and will rather climb and strip trees than eats grass. Believe it or not..

If you want grass kept short, get sheep. If you want to clear a patch of land of every living thing, get pigs. Very useful way to take rough land and clear it for cultivation. Get's fertilised too.

Yup. Funny thngs, goats.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I once borrowed some goats to assist in garden taming. In my experience they are not the slightest bit interested in grass.

mark

Reply to
mark

I'm planning on letting mine have full reign over my property. Spent a lot of effort ensuring the perimeter is secure!

They have a 6x6 shed with the door removed and two sleeping benches inside which will form their shelter.

The grass isn't really for them to eat - it's just to make the place look decent - it's a mudbath at the moment. I didn't think goats were grazing animals anyway - the research I have done suggests that they prefer foraging.

They will primarily get their nutrition from fresh hay and a few ounces of feed. They will get given fresh fruit and veg periodically.

Yep - all sorted. Got a holding number from the RPA and I've also done a DEFRA 'Animal Health' registration.

I think that's everything!

Thanks again.

Reply to
Steve Lupton

Lupton

experience they

Try Geese, we move our geese from area to area to trim the grass, enclosing them in sheep hurdles. You need a bit of rain afterwards to wash the goose poo away though!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

S23 Ryegrass. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Donwill coughed up some electrons that declared:

People who like fine lawns hate ryegrass - but if fine lawns aren't important, then it's the defacto tough lawn grass. It's in most seed that the garden centre sells - buying seed without ryegrass is harder.

Fertiliser will help - but don't put it on until the grass has appeared, then only a very weak application - young grass burns easily. Now's a good time - it's wet and getting warmer so it should be pretty green in less than 3 months at a rough guess, though it never truely looks like a proper lawn until many months or a year later.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S