Planting grass seed

X-No-Archive:yes

Can anyone suggest a rule of thumb for when to plant grass seed on a winter/snowplow damaged lawn?

Reply to
JC

When you can see the lawn (soil) as the snow melts. The seed will sit there until the temperature is reasonable for germination.

It helps to put some straw mulch down over large bare spots to keep the spring rains from washing the loose seed away.

If you can find the sod that was peeled away by the snow plow, and if the roots haven't been damaged too much you can just put it back on the bare spots and it will grow there. It's a jigsaw puzzle to get the pieces back without making too many lumps in the lawn.

If the lawn just has bare spots away from the plowed areas it is probably grubs, not w> X-No-Archive:yes

Reply to
dps

The bigger question is: What was the snow plow doing on your lawn?

Reply to
Travis

If one does not place markers to define the driveway, the lawn sometimes gets plowed in error. Also, when we have lots of snow, the markers sometimes get plowed, reducing it to the previous problem.

OTOH, my turnaround is not large enough, so I (deliberately) plow part of my lawn to make room for turning and parking. I also have to plow next to my greenhouse to keep the snow from piling up and pushing the side in. I have to plow a path on the lawn to get to the greenhouse. Works fine if the ground is frozen. Iffy in mud season.

Travis wrote:

Reply to
dps

sometimes

X-No-Archive:yes Here in CT we had a lot of snow this year - Nick, my plow/and mow guy - uses a Jeep to plow both the driveway and the front sidewalk which gets snowed on from the state trucks plowing the highway in front of the house. Even today, there are still piles of iced snow around the yard

- just trying to Think Spring :)

Reply to
JC