Euphorbia trigona question

Hi all - I have some questions about a Euphorbia trigona that I have recently repotted. Firstly - I understand that the E.T is not a cactus, and so should be watered fairly regularly? How regularly? Should the soil be moist to touch? Also, what about the soil - I've repotted it into standard potting compost. It doesn't seem to have grown at all, whilst the E.T next to it, still in it's original pot, seems to have gone nuts recently. For the record, both of these plants are on a windowsill. I'm not sure which way it's facing, but one's looking well and the other next to it (the one I repotted) isn't doing *anything* Should I have repotted the E.T into some sort of well draining mix, like I would put a cactus into? Why might the E.T not be doing anything at all? Thanks for any advice, Mike.

Reply to
Mike Sendrove

Even though Euphorbia trigona is not a member of the Cactus family (Cactaceae) itself, it obviously is a stem succulent and requires the same treatment as one would a succulent "cactus".

note that not all members of the family Cactaceae are succulent. The genus Pereskia are leafy shrubs and should be grown as such.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Treat it like a cactus that doesn't mind water, but HATES having wet feet. Being completely dried out won't hurt it, either.

Regular potting soil may not drain quickly enough. Try amending it with washed sand. I've read where they also like a little more lime (higher soil pH) than you'll get with the usual potting soil.

It could also just be transplant shock or a container design that doesn't allow for quick drainage. I bought mine on the $1 shelf at the garden shop (sickly) and it took a full season to bloom... And it's gone ape this spring. (Wild bees love it.) Going to be even better this summer from the looks of it. In addition to the lime and sand, I put the plant in a tall terra cotta pot, (lined with weed fabric and pumice on the bottom) on top of feet (for drainage) on a southward facing balcony.

Since I've made so many changes to the original set of conditions, I can't say what exactly has worked, but for the most part I have a very happy Euphorbia. (Went from mottled yellow leaves at 4 inches tall to blue-green leaves at 4 feet)

Reply to
John Thomas

Stop anthropomorphizing your plants, John boy.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Thanks both for your advice - I'll leave it for some time to dry out, and see how it does this season. I beleive that drainage could be better, sounds like maybe it could do with some sand adding to the mix, but since it's just been replanted, I'm not gonna mess with it so soon. Thanks again, Mike

Reply to
Mike Sendrove