rider steering

Well the spindle,bearings(parts finally came) and sharpened blade are all done,made a pass and it cut great,then the steering wore out and missed the neighbors new steel shed by about 6"! A plastic bushing was shot wich allowed wear on the big gears' teeth,,it's been bad for a while..It's tore down now and hopefully can find parts locally Tuesday.. Anybody know if worn gear teeth can be welded to replace metal then filed to the original shape? I realize this could cost more than a new gear but it is welded into the assembly wich I have'nt found a complete one for sale yet..The gear is about 1/8" thick and about 7/8" wide in the area the welds would go,,would that be likely to warp? If it warped it would never last..Thanks. Dean

Reply to
Dean

You're more of a Rube Goldburg than I am.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

It can be done but you are talking loads of work and what could feel like endless hours. The teeth would have to be real close to percise of it will chew up the other gear. Replacement is still best bet. I spent my life as a Auto Tech and did many many torn up wheel bearings and when a spindle was unavailable we had to file off the burned and welded on remains of a wheel bearing and let me tell you it was real long annoying and patience wearing work and it is far from as hard as making new teeth with a file.

Reply to
Auto Tech

Awwww come on Sarge,,I wanna be McGyver. I found the steering assembly and bearing(plastic bushing) online pretty cheap but the 2 day delivery will probably take a friggin week or more..The spindle took a week and only crossed one state line! The ornery woman in town matched some bearings for Me the other day and I called Her "genius" so now She's alot more friendly with Me,,I guess I'll just go tomorrow and see what they have in stock..

Reply to
Dean

[...]

Yeah,I've all but given up on the idea,,especially since I found the assembly for $16 + shipping on the net,,if they have it in town and do'nt want more then I'll just order and wait for delivery. One internet site wanted about $45. The experience of fixing the 4(out of 16) teeth might be a good one though,,only 2 of them were worn to nubs..Of course it was the teeth at the area where the wheels were almost straight but starting to turn left..The plastic bushing wore first I guess and allowed play between the pinion and the assembly gear,there's not much left of the bushing either. Thanks for the cautions tho Auto Tech.. Dean

Reply to
Dean

Got the welded steering sector back and installed it with conversation and a beer from Janet,,after She went home I fired it up and can steer again!! The welder cut n flipped the section with repaired teeth so they are on the less used side(to right turn)and welded it back and put a copper bushing in-place of the worn plastic one that probably caused the failure in the first place,,cost $20..Now it's useable and just needs the carb cleaned and an oil change.. Dean

Reply to
Dean