for troybilt owners who fix their own equipment

I've just been through a very involved evolution of fixing a steering problem in an 809 series TroyBilt garden tractor. These are the units with hi-lo range hydros, and 48" decks. If you have one of these type garden tractors and do your own maintenance, give me a shout at rbig at bellsouth dot net, and I'll send an account of what we've learned and done.

Reply to
RB

Just finished having more fun than I can stand. Anyone with one of the 809h type Troys with hydro and hi/lo range can have fun too. All you have to do is have your sector gear steering go bad. The symptoms are gnashing and jumping noises and no response when you turn the steering wheel. The sector gear is sort of wide piece of pie shaped thing with teeth along the radial edge; sometimes called a fan gear. Anyway, it's the thing your wheel tie rods bolt onto.

The small wheel gear (pinion gear) on the end of the steering mast mates to and drives the sector gear. To figure out what to do, pull the deck first. Then, get under the tractor with a strong light source. I honk the front end up with a chain hoist to get it up to where I can see stuff.

Chances are the pinion gear will be chewed up and need replacing. A big, top secret thing no one will tell you is that the primary cause may not be a failed pinion gear. You need to look beyond just the pinion gear.

It's easy to tell if the sector gear teeth are bad. Chances are they aren't. More on that later.

To fix things, you need to pull the gas tank out. Then, get an impact wrench on the steering mast nut. Should zip right off, without much pounding. Then, the pinion gear should almost fall off. Once this happens, you're ready for the big secret. Turns out there's a bushing just above the hole you can look up at where the steering mast comes through the plates/deck. This bushing is held in place by a sort of octagon shaped hole in the plate it rests in. You want to get that bushing out and put a new one in. There's bound to be wear on the old one, regardless of how much wear. Chances are good it's real worn, and that was what gave you pinion gear enough wobble to chew it's teeth slipping against the sector gear.

Pull your steering mast straight up. That's right, just pull it up to get it out of the holes it goes through. Once it's out, you can then have fun getting the bushing out. And, it's a frustrating challenge. It is doable, however. Putting the new one in is even more fun. That's where I really learned how to swear and cuss.

By the way, there's an MTD metal bushing replacement available for changing from the nylon. I used the metal one, and hope it lasts better/longer.

When the bushing finally falls into place, then just slide the steering mast back down through it. Then put the pinion gear and nut back on the end of the steering shaft, put the gas tank in, the side panels back on -- and VOILA. You've done it!

OK. Back to the "what if your sector gear is bad". Slit your wrists! This is the worst thing that could happen to you. Pulling the engine would be easier than getting the old sector gear out. Seriously. This thing is so buried it's unbelievable.

What you have to do is all the above, and then take the plate of that's sandwiched under the deck. I have no idea how to get that plate off/loose. It looks like you might have to pull the engine to get to the two bolts. Don't know, don't want to know. Just don't let your sector gear be bad!!!!!

Reply to
RB

Oops---looks like I made a typo: our full model # looks like this (trying to see it in bad lighting) 14BV09HC3

Reply to
RB

bet mine's older than yours?

Reply to
Jim Ledford

The main pulley has to be removed ( need impact wrench ) from the engine.

Ima

Reply to
Ima Goodguy