Now a 6 pointer

Another grandson got a bambi. The 18 yo got himself a 6 pointer. He's taking a culinary course in school and likes to mess around in the kitchen - so it will be interesting to see what he does with the venison.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Stubby

No it isn't. Damn deer eat the daylights out of my shrubbery because the hunters (and cars) don't kill enough of them. The problem is so bad her in PA that there is no restriction or limit to the number or sex of deer a hunter may kill, an d we're still overrun.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

You went to school to become a wit, but only got half-way through, didn't you.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

For beginnners, let the meat stew in the fridge for a day in either some storebought or home-made stuff to break down the meat. This may ease the taste for those who detect the "gamey" in it.

Graduate to smoking. Cover with foil and slow cook for 12 hours. Open up the foil to the grate, smoke it afterwards another 4-6 hours. Cover it again with foil, add seasonings etc. before sealing. Cook another 4 hours. Live oak works best, tempered with some mesquite in the smoke period. Don't dry it out, keep it moist.

Beer based BBQ sauce over a slow fire is excellent. And some slice lemon (whole). Tends to break down the toughness. Not for smoking, a slow BBQ only.

Best sausage is made from venison backstrap with some pork for fat content and balanced meat/fat taste.

Reply to
Jonny

Most important is to remove all fat and bone. Most butchers do not differentiate from beef and use bone saws, leaving bone and fat. Avoid them. Do not strip ribs or add deer fat to burger. I like fried burger without fat but need to add it to chili. Backstrap is too good to make sausage - just fry or broil it like steak

I used to do my own butchering but found a professional butcher/hunter that knows exactly what he is doing. He also double freezer wraps.

Also deer damage to my property was severe this fall when my chestnut trees were dropping nuts. Drove me nuts because I cannot hunt in yard. I'm hoping this year that deer population in my neighborhood is so bad, that herd will die back this winter. Without predators of hunters, deer population can be highly cyclic as whole herd will starve in winter. Lot of naive people think lose of habitat is problem. Not true. Deer herd without predators will expand to fill any land they can.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Live in a rural area on relatively small acreage. Two medium sized dogs that always seem to find a way out of the fenced in yard, hole digging. They usually bring back bones and rotting carcasses. A few weeks ago, they brought back a freshly killed whitetail fawn. Apparently, I'm not the only one with a dog or two running loose. Have seen others from time to time that I recognize belonging to others around here. Deer don't seem to damage anything around my place. Everything I value, that they may damage, is behind an adequate height fence protected by dogs. The garden is out by the standalone garage, its got a 5' high fence. They usually browse, looking for broadleaf. My neighbor has a deerblind next to the property line, and maintains a corn feeder year round. Have to agree, backstrap is the best part of a deer. Not much for frying unprocessed red meat though.

Reply to
Jonny

Please. Take it to alt.food.cooking or rec.food.cooking . Thanks.

Reply to
Stubby

The 5' fence won't stop the deer we have here.

If that feeder is to bait deer It's illegal in our state.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

The same for most of them here in the Buckeye, Sarge.

Reply to
Steveo

Have only wittle whitetail here. Wittle garden is wittle. By the time they jump over, they're hittin the fence on the other side, if they make it over. They make higher wire fencing for those with larger or more agile nuisances.

Neighbor uses it for feeding deer primarily. Alternatively, for baiting when he feels like taking one. Not illegal here either way.

Reply to
Jonny

just another story without a picture

ds549

signature. I'm tired of thinking its a link about something relevent.

Reply to
Mike