Leveling lawn?

My turf isn't too bad but the surface is bumpy. My back (etc) gets really jostled when mowing. Has anyone leveled a lawn by sprinkling on soil+seed and rolling it. I don't think I want to rototill.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

evolutionman 2004

Sounds like a plan to me - cept I'm not much on rolling - but I do like to drag a few feet of chainlink fence around behind my lawn tractor over loose dirt to smooth it out and level it.

Reply to
Srgnt Bilko

If you have only dirt to level and a power tractor, you could also drag a short piece of railroad (rail) iron (just wider than the rear tractor wheels) behind you (attached with strong chain); this works great and will level the soil.

message

Reply to
evolutionman 2004

Yeah, it will level it, alright. But assume your tractor is 48" wide.....do you know how much a 48" section of railroad track weighs? I don't know for sure, but would estimate 500 lbs or more.

Reply to
Barfin' Bob

A standard roller is about 20" in diameter and 36" wide. Filled with water, it will weigh 350 lb. My old Sears tractor has no problem pulling a roller (and me!). Can you tell me where to buy a rail section? I like the rail idea because it is easier to hide&store compared to the bulky roller.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

If I read the chart right, the most popular rail would be about 170# for 4 feet. I am surprised - thought it would be even more. Wait a minute - just remembered I have a few pieces (about 2" long) in the weight box behind one of my tractors - I'll grab one tomorrow if I think of it.

Reply to
Srgnt Bilkoo

Rail track is produced in different weights. I have a 18" piece I use for an anvil, it weighs about 30 lbs. Two common weights I have seen are 15 lbs and 20 lbs per foot.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

According to the chart I saw that would be the lightest of rail - not suitable for mainline trains but used like on a worksite road - but, like I said, the chart was a little confusing, so maybe I'm off base. But in any case I'll continue to drag chain link rather than switch to rail.

Reply to
Srgnt Bilko