If you have squirrels stealing your bird seed this might be of interest

Squirrels stealing your birdseed?

doctoroe

doctoroe wrote the following on 2/21/2012 5:49 PM (ET):

I find the acrobatics of squirrels trying to get the seed from the bird feeders more entertaining than watching birds eat the seed.

Reply to
willshak

of my sons had the squirrel stealing problem. He is somewhat inventive.

He wrapped two pieces of aluminum foil around the tree trunk about ten feet off the ground, the pieces of foil were a couple inches apart. He then put a bare wire under each piece of foil, plugged it into an extension cord that he plugged into 110 volt receptacle.

He saw a squirrel climb up and when it got onto both pieces of foil, it did a couple flips off the tree. Didn't kill it.

I certainly don't approve of his method, in fact, I thought it was dangerous, but it worked - except for the fact that it almost also killed the tree, I suppose because there was current running through the tree trunk between the foil wraps.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx