Georgia Clay...

What in the world can you do with Georgia Clay?

We have a couple of areas around the house that are sloped and it just erodes away. We can't get sod to anchor - rain water won't penetrate the clay surface and anything on top eventually "slides" away...

It's the usual stuff - hard as concrete when it's dry, thick as firm gumbo (for a half inch deep) when it's wet.

I'm thinking I could amend it with something and till it in. However, I have no idea what amendment would be best to allow grass and plants a fighting chance at establishing roots into the substrate.

I'm in the Atlanta area if that may shed any light. Whatever solution I try will have to be done by me, and probably by hand. I do plan to rent a tiller for that part.

I guess my questions are: Presuming that if I can get grass/plants with good deep root systems established, the erosion will slow or cease, what type(s) of amendment, what quantity, when to amend it, how deep and how well should it be tilled?

If anyone would be so kind as to share some wisdom in this area, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, J.D.Hood

Reply to
jdhood

JD, Good ole GA Clay: Consider collecting some soil samples and sending them off for testing. Call your local Extension Service they can assist you with the steps. You will get results from the test that will enable you to begin the necessary corrective steps for turf development that includes easy to use instructions for correcting the soil ph, etc. Amending the soil is very important for establishing deep roots in areas where excessive clay type soils are noticed and in your case compounded by 'slope erosion'. Erth Products manufactures a great 'all natural' soil conditioner that can be roto-tilled into the soil 3 to 6 inches with existing soil. Rake and lightly tamp the slope area in preparation for sod. Install the sod using

6" sod staples which will hold the sod in place until root development.

Mark

Mark A.