Fig tree pruning - or leave alone?

I have two fig trees I planted late last year. These are planted in zone USDA

6A, and it is probably in a fringe zone for these figs. They died back over the winter but they came back up from the roots this year.

I don't know if this is a problem but one came up with two shoots, now about 3 ft high, each looking like they could be the main one if I pruned the other one off. The other one has three shoots. Two are almost the same as on the other tree, either of which could be the main one if I pruned the other one off. One on this second tree is considerably shorter than the other two.

Do I need to prune all but one shoot off to have only one left on each? Or is it OK to allow more than one trunk to the trees?

I am thinking that we don't want a fork in the trunk close to the ground on either fig tree and I should prune all but one shoot, and then pound something into the ground and tie a rope around the remaining shoot to train it to grow vertically, as straight as possible, for the next few years?

Anyone who has information or experience on this I welcome their advice, even if it's not specific to fig trees, as I don't think the advice I need applies only to fig trees.

---------------------------------------------------- Some ham radio groups you may be interested in:

Donald