Buying a new tractor/mower

Before buying a new tractor/mower, check for availability of repair parts and get it in writing. But check out what is involved in changing belts. I just had to do this on my old Craftsman and it took the better part of two days. There are some really poor engineering decisions in the beast -- hidden bolts, directions don't tell you the easy way to get to some things (take off the rear wheel to get to t he nut that holds the belt guide in the back), just how do you insert the new belt so that it goes around all the pulleys? On and on. Try before buy.

Reply to
Stubby

Buy one that don't have belts like a Kubota or Ingersoll

Reply to
Rodney Kelp

I have a 6 year old Craftsman- luckily I live next to my mechanically inclined nephew who also already had one- he taught me some neat tricks on how to easily remove the deck and maintenance- otherwise I'd have been lost. Now I can remove the deck and change belts and clean and grease the deck in about an hour. Changing oil and filters also takes about an hour.

Joe

Reply to
Joe