Burned Grass with pesticides--what to do next.

Hi,

Every year I use pesticides on my lawn to get rid of weeds and they work very well. I buy a liquid concentrated formula, than mix it with water and apply to grass. This year I also used them. Today I realized that in some places I used them my grass was totally burned, it's gone-there are dry patches of grass. I was shocked when I saw it-after all, I used the same pesticide in other places and it did not happen; I also double checked if I used the proper pesticide (i.e., selective, that kills only weeds, NOT the grass). I am totally puzzled why it happened. Yes, it was a very dry year, but still. I almost think that somebody else did it!

Anyway, I'd appreciate if you have any answers as to why this could happen and also how do I deal with it now-will the grass grow again next year (I live in Ontario)? Is there any treatment I could apply now or in the spring? By the way, I don't really want to have a manicured grass-as long as it's green and weed-free, I'm satisfied!

I appreciate any comments!

Thanks,

Jack

Reply to
Jack

would think that pests attacking the roots or some turf disease could also be a culprit.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

If your using Pesticides to get rid of your weeds you've got a weirder life than I do!! Maybe you could try an Herbicide next year. ;-)

Reply to
Clark...

Herbicide is actually considered a pesticide in professional circles. To have a pesticide license is to have a license to commercially apply chemicals to control plants (weeds) and insects. Pests.

Reply to
do_see

[....]

you'd be correct in what you've stated.

reading from the people here in NC who run the certification program.

Reply to
Jim

Does it have a name? What kind of grass do you have? What kind of undesirables were you trying to eradicate? What concentration, and what application rate did you use?

You haven't given enough, /proper/ information to even begin to make that guess.

You haven't established what "it" is, apart from "it" being brown.

Most likely, but that would depend on what you applied, how much you applied, and what you applied it on.

Again, that depends...

Well, it sounds like you're halfway there (the weeds are probably gone)!

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly
[...]

ummm...

Nah, nevermind. You probably won't get it. =P

[rest snipped]
Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

You may have burned the bentgrass in your lawn. It is more susceptible to herbicide injury than blue or rye or fescue. Just a guess without seeing it.

It may recover..or not. I've seen it survive roundup applications.

Reply to
Steveo

A coincidence with his herbicide application burn?

Reply to
Steveo

One in the same.. pests are pests be it plants or bugs.

Reply to
Steveo

Where abouts in Ontario? I've seen some grub damage around this year. Have you tried digging into some of those dead patches?

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Grubs have been on a strong cycle here in N Ohio this fall, a hot/dry summer over here.

Reply to
Steveo

Maybe...would think that if it was the chemical there would be a more uniform area of "burn"

Lar

Reply to
Lar

No wonder I think you guys are weird in this newsgroup, your all skewed up in here!!!! ;-) What does "ride the old tractor" mean? going to have sex with the wife?

Clark...

Reply to
Clark...

Another factor is when did he apply the herbicide? Was it when it was moderate weather or when it was 90 deg? Herbicide should never be appied when its hot and the turf is stressed. And we have no info as to when it was applied vs when the grass appeared dead. If the seperation was 2 weeks and clearly in the areas that were sprayed, that would be convincing evidence that the herbicide caused it. On the other hand, if it was applied in June and the damage is only apparent now, then the herbicide isn't the cause.

As to whether the grass will come back, no way to answer that either. If the grass just went brown now, then it may come back. If it went brown a month ago, there has been reasonable amount of water since, and there is no sign of green new growth in the area, then it's kaput. And likely too late now to re-seed this late in Canada. Wait till Spring.

Reply to
trader4