Use of Pesticides on Edibles

As an occasional visitor to this site, I hope you will excuse me if this was discussed before.

I have grown a few long beans (probably also known as snake beans). While they are just fruiting, much of the beans are now covered with small dark fly-like pests on the beans as well as the tender parts of the vines. As I wish to consume the beans (if any are left), I am afraid to apply pesticides which may be harmful for consumption. Appreciate some advice as to the appropriate type of pesticide. Thank You.

SC Yap

Reply to
scyap

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:26:29 +0800 in , "scyap" graced the world with this thought:

Try something like Safer's or other non-toxic pesticide. Take a look at your local nursery, they can send you the right direction.

Reply to
belly

There are a whole host of products made for use on vegetables. If you're not sure, going to a nursery with a knowledgeable staff would be a good idea; but a bit more expensive than a big box store. Always read the label, even knowledgeable staff can get it wrong sometimes.

If you're of a do-it-yourself bent, you can try here for some suggestions

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

You need an insecticide that is listed for use on vegetables, with an appropriate "days to harvest" number (low number for beans, zero if you can find it.) Off-the-top-of-my-head, I'd guess Rotenone, sevin, or malathion. Rotenone is "organic" if that means anything to you.

I'm not familiar with the new insecticides being produced by Bayer; I don't think I trust them yet, but you might want to look into them.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob