Bermuda grasses hybreds vs common

My back yard is 95% common bermuda and 5% fesue, so it looks like the bermuda has won and after 10 years of trying to establish fescue I am giving up on Fescue. My neighbor has tiffway bermuda which is much nicer than the common variety. What is the opinion if I would plant some of the tiffway, which would win? The Tiffway or the common? Thanks JD Southeastern VA

Reply to
JD

They would co-mingle and you would end up with patches of each. When hybrid bermudas are mixed with common I have never seen either one predominate to much extent.

Reply to
Cathy Lewis

If you are in SE Virginia it is already too late in the year to eliminate common bermuda. It needs to be sprayed with Roundup at least two, and preferably three, times beginning in late August to early September. Common bermuda is a bitch to eliminate.

And Tifway 419 is probably not your best choice. Since it was developed, Tifway has mutated into so many different varieties that you won't really know what you are getting. If a sod grower sells you Tifway in 1990, and again in 2001, the grass out of the same field can be very different.

If you want a really good bermuda, get some TifSport from United Turf in Powell's Point, NC. They are just down Rt. 168 from Chesapeake. Call

800-421-7649 and ask for A.B. Tell him Dale sent you.

JD wrote:

Reply to
Chowder Pup

Thanks for the response. I know just where United Turf is. I live in Great Bridge. I still have some work to do in the back yard, (building a brick patio), so I am thinking about doing this next spring/summer. I thought I could spray Round up when the bermuda is actively growing, like June/July. I have been trying to eliminate the common bermuda for the 10 years we have lived here. I would also have someone come in and use a sod cutter or Bobcat to take all the sod out of the yard. Then bring in the hybred bermuda. The area isn't really that big. Are there other Bermudas that would work as well. I only know Tiffway. Thanks, JD - Chesapeake, VA

Reply to
JD

Tifway, properly known as Tifway 419, is one of a whole series of hybrid bermudas bred by Earl Eisner at the Georgia Crop Improvement Experiment Station in Tifton, Georgia. Others include TifEagle, TifDwarf, TifGreen and TifSport (originally bred as T-10).

Tifway 419 is probably the most widely grown of these varieties, but is the most subject to genetic variation through mutation. The most recent introduction is TifSport (T-10). This is the most genetically stable of the Tifton varieties, and the TifSport Growers Association is extremely strict about how it is grown. Every field, for example must be killed, fumigated and replanted from foundation stock every two years. TifSport is the variety of bermuda that the Redskins play on in FedEx Stadium.

Probably the best variety of hybrid bermuda available today is Patriot, a joint release by Kansas State and Oklahoma State, with Dennis Martin being the primary breeder. There is only one grower on the east coast and that is Oakwood Sod Farm in Delmar, MD,

brief description of Patriot can be found at

Nathan Fine