Selective Herbicide for Bermuda Grass

Any recommendations for what is the best selective herbicide to use against Bermuda Grass in a Fescue lawn? I've used Acclaim in the past. It is fairly expensive and it generally does not completely kill the Bermuda. It will brown it out and stunt its growth but it does not eliminate it. My lawn is located in a transition zone where both Fescue and Bermuda will grow but neither is really optimal for the area. In fact, I'm not sure we really have an optimal grass. Our summers are hot and dry enough to seriously challenge most Fescues (though some of the recent drought and heat/sun tolerant variates are an improvement). Our winters will get as low as 0 - 5 degrees F every five or six years which will kill Bermuda. I have elected to have Fescue to have some green in the winter months (a choice that required an in ground sprinkler system to be realistic). My neighbors chose Bermuda so I have some infiltration at our property lines. Fall re-seeding has kept a more or less status quo but I have seen the Bermuda toe hold in my yard increase slightly this year.

So, what about it? Any new selective herbicides to address Bermuda in a Fescue lawn?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Sansom

Eggs Zachtly

Nothing is perfect, and you should not expect anything more than a significant reduction in the amount of Bermuda in your Fescue.

That said, Acclaim mixed with Turflon Ester is a decent choice, as is Fluazifop mixed with Turflon Ester. Somehow, the mixes do more damage to the bermuda and less to the fescue than the single chemical application.

By the way, I have a couple hundred dollars worth of those three chemicals in my collection. I'm fighting bermuda in my zoysia...

I figure I'll beat it back some year by year. That's about the best we can do with today's chemicals.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Informative article. Many thanks,