Ants and bulbs

I planted 4 bulbs infront of my shrubs in the frontyard. I don't know what they are called. All I know is they are red when they grow and flower. Im new at this.

ANyway, shortly after, maybe a few days, ants showed up. I think they are setting up their fort in the area I dug to plant the bulbs. QUestion is , should I dig up the bulbs, replant them in pots, and use bait to kill the ant colony, or should I leave them there ,and use bait? I have these granules I oredered a couple of years ago which is for carpenter ants. I am assuming the ants will eat the bulbs. I also thought of digging and placing the granules within the soil, and leaving the bulbs there.

Reply to
ADD

The bulbs shouldn't be in danger -- I've never seen ants eat bulbs. Unless they've become a nuisance elsewhere, or are fire ants, there's no real reason to apply a pesticide to kill the ants --their own enemies will keep a balance. As for the "granules" (bait?) follow the label application instructions to the letter, and be sure to read the warning labels about such things as dangers to pets.

The thing about pesticides is that the broad spectrum pesticides kill the "good" bugs along with the bad -- and the bad ones always come back first.

Regards --

Reply to
World Traveler